1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Lighting Upgrade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JohnnyU, Nov 23, 2009.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

For as long as I've owned UniMount plows (well, even the 1979 Ford F350 with a Western conventional), the lights have left much to be desired. I had read for several years the the upgrade was to wire the lights directly, or to upgrade the sealed beam bulbs. After trying that to no avail, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new set of headlamps. I had been looking for a set that I like the appearance and performance of for a while, but just stumbled upon these guys a couple weeks ago.

They are made by Buyers and are offered with their new SnowDogg plows. They're a composite lens using an H7 bulb for the low beam, H1 for the high beam and a standard 1157A for the park/turn signal. They're also dual stud mounted to help with vibration and aiming. I had to build a new light tower, which has also helped with vibration and proves to be much stiffer than the old cantilevered style.

I snapped this picture just the other night; I haven't taken any with the lights on, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

ohh....I like

3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Nice looks good.

4. just me

just me Member

Those are nice looking !!! They should be bright even with the tiny wires from the truck powering them.

5. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

you beat me to it! I was planning on doing the same basic thing only using the Night hawk lights instead. I really like how your's turned out and makes me even more anxious to get mine done. what did you use to build the new tower? I'm planning on using some 2x2x1/4 stainless steel angle but I haven't decided what to do with the top plate yet. I'm also thinking about building some ducting onto the tower to get more air to the truck.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think the NightHawks are obnoxious. They're too bulky for the amount of light they cast. Besides the fact that Western/Fisher is too proud of them for my wallet. :eek:

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I've found the nighthawks for about 220.00 which I didn't think was too bad considering that they want over 150 for the original unimount lights. How much did you give for the lights you have? Who bent your top plate for you?

8. x.system

x.system Senior Member

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=86450 nighthawk version :D

Jonny, how did you mount the top plate? Lights a plug and play or did you have to splice them in? Looks great :drinkup:

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The side members and top plate is all one weldment. I used 2"x2"x0.125" mild steel angle for the sides and some additional 0.125" A36 plate for the top plate. All fabricated in house (well, garage). :drinkup:

The lights came with their own harness, but I ended up splicing them into my modified harness.

I'll try to get some additional photos over the long weekend.

10. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

cool looks good! How were you going to do the dual chain lift? any pics?

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

For right now, I'm just using two clevises (2000lb WLL ea.) through the bracket that the current bolt is run through. It's not ideal, but it will work until I figure out a better design. Who knows, it may not need to be improved. :cool:

I'll post pictures this weekend. Any other requests? ;)

12. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I like the Snowdogg lights they look good on your plow and I can tell you they are about 10 times brighter than the old western lights

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I just need to trim the excess off one of the chains, but you get the idea. Had it not been raining, I'd pull the truck in and hook it up to show off the lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yea, my new Western decals came today and the one on the tower is reflective. Pretty cool. :cool:

14. rvpkanapsky

rvpkanapsky Junior Member

That looks great. I might have to get a few sets. How much were they

15. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I know they have them in the SAMS aftermarket book with a list price of about $280.00 but I dont know what that comes with.

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I called Angelos and got a killer deal on them. They list them for right around $200, which is still a good deal for a nice set of lights.