1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Lighting issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SS Plowing, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

Truck: 05 silverado crew cab ls 1500
    Plow: Used western pro 3 spring unimount

I purchase a used western plo plow and have done my best to get it hooked up. I first ran into an issue with the controller not working properly but after replacing the six pin molex connector the plow is moving! The plow seems to be operating well other than I need to adjust the drop speed as it is too slow for my liking.

I have ran into a few lighting problems. The guy i bought the plow and and wiring from had the unit on 04 2500. all he had hooked up were the brown and grey wires at the drivers side head light and the purple on the passenger side and of course the power and grounds. After buying the plow I purchase the unimount for my truck from a local guy who works on plows. He was very nice and told me that the harness I had was "plug and play". He used some tape and labeled each wire for me as to where it needed to be tapped in. Right now I have the brown to the brown on the running light of the drivers side and the grey to the light blue. I also have both the black and grey plugs plugged into there respective bulb and factory harness plugged into female end of plow harness. On the passenger side I had the purple wire tapped into the light blue and only the grey plow plug into the headlight.

With this setup my passenger light would not turn on with the plow not even hooked up. Drivers side worked but not passenger.. I unplug the grey plug and hook factory light plug back in and now I have both lights.. after hooking up plow I have both plow lights but my passenger side shuts off like it is supposed to, but the drivers side stays on.. I turn the high beams on and loose all lights.. I am rather confused. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appriciated.

Scott

Also I forgot to mention the previous owner had a switch he installed to be able to shut plow lights on and off whenever he wanted, but it does not seem to effect anything at this point whether its in off or on position. I also have no blinker on plow on passenger side, but I think it might be a bad bulb, but not sure

2. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

Input anyone?

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

cut the on off plow light switch out first off. The turn signal and marker wires are tapped in series, and solder them in please they will get corroded. Go to western website and look under publication they will have the schematics for the light any other problems e-mail me
    to_buy@yahoo.com Western plow in subject please

4. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

When I cut out the switch what do I do with those wires? One is a red wire and one is green..

5. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

Great.. Now my right side turn signal and hazards will not work in the front or rear of the truck. Anyone have any ideas?

6. harrison/mi

harrison/mi Junior Member

sounds like u blew a fuse!!

7. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

So I found that indeed there were two fuses blown. There was a fuse in the plow wiring that was inline in the red wire that the guy has hooked up to the switch. I also found a fuse that controlled the turn signals had blown. After changing both I now have turn signals and the switch will control the plow lights. I am still having a few issues though. If I plug all four plugs in and have all the wires taped in the lights work correct when the plow is plugged in but after unplugging now my drivers side light doesn't turn on. Also when I turn on the high beams on with the plow hooked up the plow lights shut off. I also still dont have a passenger side turn signal on the plow. I took the bulb from the drivers side and swapped with the one for passenger and it still didn't work so not a bulb. I unplugged the drivers side grey plug which allows for my drivers side truck light to operate properly without the plow hooked up. The snow will be coming soon around here I hope and am hoping there is someone that might be able to help me out before I drive two hours to take to a western dealer to pay the big bucks for something probably small. Any Ideas anyone has would help greatly.

8. SS Plowing

SS Plowing Junior Member

I found out tonight that I had bad connection in the turn signal. The connectors and spring were both shot in the turn signal. I haven't fixed yet but bought the parts tonight at auto parts store and will hook it back up tomorrow. I also found out that I only have nine pins on the plow and 12 on the truck side. Will this cause me to not have high beams? Not having high beams is the only problem that I will still have if the signal fix works. Any input would be greatly appreciated.