1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount lighting issues......

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GreenKingL&L, Nov 27, 2010.

1. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

im searching existing threads right now, and have found some useful info so far. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction a little quicker lol.....i don't have enough hair left to pull out over this deal!

plow-9' Uni-mount
    truck-02 Doge 3500

problem. I have no low's or high's on the truck at all, until I plug the plow in. At that point, I have full function of the truck lights, and the plow lights work as well.

problem #2--100% of the time the plow is plugged in, the plow lights are on. Wether the switch is on or not, they stay on.

So Far

replaced all 4 relays, just to be safe. Put new ends on EVERY wire going to relays just to be safe as well. I am confident that all wires are routed correctly to the proper terminals on the proper relays. No change in the symptoms.

Side note, the short white jumper wire (the one with the diode). when the whole system is off, I was double checking connections and when this wire is plugged in (or undone) it trips the relay on the diode side of that jumper. Is this normal?

appreciate any help in advance!
  2. wj4play

wj4play Member

I personally dont like how any of the plows integrate into the vehicle wiring. I prefer to leave the vehicle wiring as is and just wire 2 toggles somewhere on the dash for plow lights. Its less to go wrong and you dont have to worrie about relays sticking/no working in the middle of the night.

Just my personal preference.

I would unhook any of the truck lights and put back to stock and just wire a toggle. Kinda like the old 70's Chevy's were.

I know I'm gonna get flack for saying this lol. just less to go wrong with the K.I.S.S method (keep it simple stupid)