1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount light issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Thoth7475, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Thoth7475

Thoth7475 Junior Member

So, everything was working fine till last week, now, the headlights on the plow only work if I switch on the highbeams...running lights work fine, turn signals work...sometimes the truck lights stay on, sometimes they don't...they always go off when I turn on the highbeams. It's a 95 dodge ram 2500...the plow is the older setup without the isolation module. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Chances are it's a failing relay or corroded connection at one of the relays. There is a ashram tics book on the western site that shows all the different possible setups. U need to figure out which setup u have and then go through it systematically. There r two possibilities for main control harness, 9 and 12 pin, count the pins on the plug at the grill that runs lights and coils. Then count the number of relays in the eng compartment. From there it's step by step verification.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Now that I am at a real computer I can give you the link to the schematics book. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    Have a look at the section on relay wiring. There are numerous possibilities so you need to figure out which one is yours and then dig in with a test light. But be systematic, don't take everything apart. These old relay systems are a mess to begin with so it is very easy to hook something up wrong. I would just look for broken wires on the relays first, fix any you find and then replace one relay at a time, one wire at a time. Good luck.