1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Light Bar

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DWerm, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DWerm

DWerm Junior Member
    from Chicago

Hey guys, I have seen many pictures and write-ups on people fabricating up light bars for their unimounts. For me I have a major case of OCD and I always shoot to fabricate my things perfectly as if they rolled out of the factory. So here is what I did. I fabricated risers out of 3/16 gauge angle iron (which i usually saw people just using flat stock) and then welded flat stock "ears" to it and match drilled the holes to the OE western prodigy light bar itself. The height I went off of for this was off an ultra mount with this same light bar. The risers were also powder coated and not painted. My question is if I started selling these risers would anyone even be remotely interested!?! So if anyone is please let me know, also I like criticisms so please let me hear how you guys think of my build!

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

IMO, they're too bulky and the placement of the lights inhibits seeing what's directly in front of you.

My unimount OEM lights are out to both sides, which provides me clear view directly in front of the truck. These newer plow setups where the lights are moved more towards center don't make any sense to me at all. Why would anyone purposefully block the main viewing area of where you're working in, and need to see the most ?

Just my .02 and your criticism you asked for :p

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your build looks great. As u say it is very similar to the new ultra mount design both in appearance and light position. My wide out headlights r in the same place. I have no problem seeing. I wish there was nothing in front but there is so I deal with it.
    As far as selling them? You might sell a few but u won't make any money. This un-mount system is very old. People r selling them for a few hundred $. If people want good headlights and "that look" they can buy a new ultra plow and get all the benefits of the fleet flex, quick couple etc.
    Think of this... U can buy a kit to put a v8 in the back seat of a VW beetle. How many do u see driving around? The car stopped building 30 years ago but they sold hundreds of thousands. There aren't enough unis around to make this practical. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014