1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount lift cylinder packing nut removal help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jptbay, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jptbay

jptbay Junior Member
    from mn

Going to change the lift cylinder this weekend and am looking for some advice on removing the packing nut.

I already tried loosening it with a 24" adjustable wrench with a short cheater pipe on the handle.

The nut is so tight that the jaws of the adjustable wrench start to flex enough, that I'm afraid the nut may strip. I have a new nut to install.

With the pump housing being aluminum, I'm hesitant to get too rough with it, and also worried about using torch heat and ruining some of the other pump seals.

For starters I'm going to see if I can borrow a proper sized wrench.

With the cylinder lowered all the way, is it possible to get a deep socket on the nut?

Thanks all.

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Doesn't even need to be a deep socket by the time you get to those sizes. I think it's 2 1/4" if my memory serves correct. Socket works fine, even better if you can get your hands on a good size impact wrench.

3. jptbay

jptbay Junior Member
    from mn

That's great. Thanks.

I have a set of 3/4 drive short sockets, and a healthy 1/2 impact. I'll try that route first, with an impact adapter.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Good luck-mine came off pretty easily as I recall, I hope you have a similar experience with the socket.

5. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Lightly tap the sides where the nut is while someone holds pressure on the socket. Vibration with the torque works great

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Just had a thought-I think I may have cut the top of the piston off to get the socket to fit, and installed the new nut with a pipe wrench and cheater bar.

If you are replacing the piston (I was), then you can wreck the old one getting it out and be ok.

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Not to scare you I had the nut snap clean off I thought I was screwed I figured I was buying a new unit so I figured that I would try to weld the nut to the piston I turned up the heat on the welder welded the cylinder to the nut used a long pry bar spun the nut loose and it cam out with easy when you put the new one back in put grease around the threads hope this doesn't happen too you good luck

8. jptbay

jptbay Junior Member
    from mn

Got it freed up! :D

Nut is 2-1/8" for future reference.

Once I had the proper sized wrench on there, I had a helper hammer the end of the wrench a bit as I pulled on it.

Lots of new parts to freshen up the old plow tomorrow:

• lift cylinder shaft, packings, and nut
    • new pump, filter, and motor gasket
    • two new angle cylinders and hoses
    • new oil of course, and oil reservoir heater