1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Leak Between Motor and Body

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by badpeanut, Jan 1, 2012.

1. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

After my recent fluid, filter, and hose change I replaced the cork gasket between the motor and body (see picture). However it is leaking now and both bolts are tight. I put the gasket in without any adhesives. How do I get rid of this leak?

leak.jpg

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You probably have a bur on one of the mating surfaces that is too big for the gasket to seal. Remove the motor and gasket again and run a fine flat file over the surfaces. You will feel anything that sticks out when the file teeth contact it. Be carefull only to take the burs off. After it is cleaned up have a good look for any cracks or irregularities on the surfaces. If all it good then make sure the gasket has nothing hard imbeded into the cork that would prevent clean matting of the surfaces. Best not to use any sealer or glue or the gasket will be destroyed each time you need to pull the motor.

3. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

if that doesnt work, put another washer under the front bolt just in case the screw is bottoming out.....

4. mishnick

The parts breakdown actually shows no washer there at all but instinct tells me that it is better to have one to prevent the bolt from carving metal away. That is a good point to examine the bolt lengths but don't they go right through into the reservoir cavity?

5. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

No, it is possible for the bolt to bottom out if different gaskets/motors are used. Inspect your gasket and housing for obstructions and examine/add space for the bolt if needed....

6. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I finally took this apart today. Both holes are blind and it appears my bolt was bottoming out before it was completely tight so I added a washer. I'll keep an eye on it now to confirm the leak is gone.

7. mishnick

That is a good point to know. Blind holes... so no oil can leak past the threads but if your bolts are too long or there is dirt in the bolt hole they can bottom out and cause the leak as you describe. Considering that the reservoir on the Isarmatics is not vented, the reservoir will build pressure (and a bit of vacume) as the fluid level goes up and down, so if the motor is not tight fluid will be forced out and moisture could be sucked in. Very important to keep that motor well sealed.