1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount just took a Dump! Help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Snow2Go, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Go figure now that snow is coming. I just went to hook my unimount up and pull the truck outside, it lifted up, I backed up then when I set it down and turned the truck off the motor still sounded like it was making noise then stopped. Motor and cable were hot. If I hit the control I get nothing but the solenoid clicking. If I jump power straight to the motor it works and it moved to the left. We tried hitting it with a hammer and nothing.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hold the hammer friend that only helps when the motor won't turn when boosted, you sound like you have a bad power relay (most people call them solenoids but since there is no external mechanical movement that is not really the correct name) The fact that it stuck on, as you described, and the wires were hot indicates that the relays internal action is failing / failed. You can verify the relay is bad by shorting out the two big lugs with a screw driver. The motor should turn and the blade will try to move right. Replace that relay and you should be fine. On your system the power relay will be under the hood near the battery.
  3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I had a power cable short out one time and it was only two weeks old!!
  4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

run major electric compents through fuses.. so that way fuses will go before a major problem can occur. same concept as a shear pin