1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount / joystick power up with headlights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by starfiresx, Jan 19, 2012.

1. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

I am having a weird issue.

Just this last month I replaced my battery and new 170amp alt, up from the stock 105amp. Also did the big three wire upgrade.

Snow starting to fly here in lower Michigan. Got the plow on the truck 97 Chevy 2500.

Checking it all out, and when I turn headlights on the joystick controller powers up even with the switch off.

With switch on when using the plow with headlights on the plow will move on its own.

Also noticed with the 4 way flashers on with the headlights on the flashers on the plow are out of sink.

Could this be a ground issue?

Thanks Joe
  2. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

I may have a wire in the wrong spot.

Wire coming out of the wire harness orange with black strip to solenoid. this wire has a jumper that goes to a battery. should it go to ground or positive?

If wire is not hooked up to the battery plow does not work. If hooked up to the ground plow works.

For the life of me I can't remember if it is off the ground or the positive.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

bk/og is ground
  4. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

Ground wire!!!

Found it!

I flushed the system and replaced the filter this fall.

Tested it during the day and all was well.

But I forgot the ground wire from the valve block to pump motor.

Still have issues with the headlights. But that is just old wiring that needs to be replaced.
    It was not right when I got the truck. Plow one truck plow lights and passenger headlight comes on.

get to that tomorrow.

thanks Joe!