1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount joystick controller idea

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Chiputz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I have an idea I want to put out there and get some feedback on before I do it. I have a unimount straight blade mounted on a truck with a 5 speed manual transmission. I currently have the joystick mounted on the dash. I prefer the plow control on the shifter side of the steering wheel. What I'm thinking of doing is getting the 6 pin extension cable and fabbing a joystick mount that I can clamp directly onto the shifter that way the control will be right at my right thumb. The cable could be tied right to the shifter down to the shift boot and the constant moving of the shifter should be able to be absorbed by the wiring right?
    Any thoughts, pro or con, are greatly appreciated.:drinkup:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's been done by alotta manual drivers. All personal prefrense

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I went from a conventional plow to a unimount. The conventional was mounted to the dash right in front of the shifter. I don't think the new joystick could take the treatment I gave that old cable op controller...lol

4. dieselss

But its electrical not cable. You don't need to beat it to get it to work

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I think you will find that the wires will break prematurely. The joystick cable is designed to be stationary whereas the handheld has a coiled wire and is designed for flexing.

6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

The whires shouldn't break if he does it like he discribed (running the whires all down the shifter). I would try it if I were using a manual truck.

7. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Sounds like a hand held controller would be ideal.

8. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Problem with a hand held unit is your hand in already occupied working the shifter all the time. Having an electric joystick right on the shifter would allow u to just use your thumb to opperate the joystick. I don't even use a manual plow truck currently but I could totally see myself fabbing a bracket for that purpose.

9. dieselss

Just me,,, but I had mine on the dash, not the shifter get in a rythem and just go!

10. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I currently have it mounted on the right side of the dash next to the ash tray with the long bracket coming up next to the keys. If i swing it over more towards the passenger side, it will block the ash tray, being a smoker that's not acceptable. Can you buy the 6 pin plugs anywhere without the wiring? I could make a coiled extension cable if the movement will be an issue. I was thinking of leaving a coil of the straight cable ahead of the shifter to allow minimal stress on the electric control's cable.
    In my old truck, as I was going into the bank I would be raising the plow and as my hand was coming off the old cable op controller I was pulling the shifter out of first gear and going into reverse. One smooth motion. The electric joystick really has no comfortable position to mount it because of the dash layout in the truck. It's a 2000 Dodge.
    Sno Commander is right, a handheld would make it more of a PITA.

11. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Done a few. Heres a pic of a meyers mount i made. Cut a piece pf pipe in half welt a flat plate on it and mount the controller to it. This way you can use a simple hose clamp to mount it to the shifter and you can easily adjust the position. You can easily remove it in the offseason then too.

[​IMG]

12. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

13. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

looks good Holland. I think I am going to do it. I checked out the shifter knob you mentioned Tyler, It's definatley a good option. Thanks for all the input Guys!

14. Snow Commandor

from 07666

In my 99 Dodge I mounted the joystick to the dash, just left of the ash tray. If my truck was stick, I might prefer a different location. Yes you can buy the 6 pin plug by itself in Radio Shack. I fixed one of my joysticks with a plug I bought @ Radio Shack.

15. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Looks good. Almost as if I made it! Lol!