1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount jerks or chatters angling left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jimmyjam, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Having a recent problem with a unimount that is jerky when angling left. Will do this about 85 percent of the time and only when the plow is raised. If I drop it and angle it, doesn't seem to be a problem. Smooth angle right, and up and down. Seemed to have started this after changing fluid. thought it was just air so undid hoses, purged fluid and redid it. No luck. any thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Broken/collapsed spring or sticky spool in the poppet check valve assembly. The poppet and it's spring are behind the plug in the top of the valve block. And the spool and it's spring are behind the plug in the front of the block. Need to remove both and check them for smooth movement and inspect their respective springs.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here are some diagrams

Here were the poppet valve is
    poppy valve.jpg

Here is the cushion valve
    cushvalve.jpg

And just in-case you don't understand how they function
    poppycushvalves.jpg

poppy valve.jpg

cushvalve.jpg

poppycushvalves.jpg

4. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Thanks very much guys. Checked it out and was definitely a sticky spool. Had to pull quite hard just to get it out. I do have a follow up question though. Never had the spool apart before so don't know for sure what it should look like and can't find a real good exploded diagram. In the middle of the spool is a black O -ring gasket and what looks like a white spacer. On the one I removed that white spacer is split. Looks like it might be damaged but then again looks like it is manufactured that way in order to get it around the spool - anyone know what it should be like? Thanks again for the assistance - no more chatter!!!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The spacer is supposed to be split as it's just the backup for the o-ring. Good to hear it's working.

6. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Ok, great. Thanks again for your help - it was frustrating the heck out of me. Merry Christmas to you!

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Happy holidays and safe plowing

8. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Same to you and thanks for the diagrams - printed them out and they were perfect.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're willing to trade a little printer ink for some good knowledge on your Uni I'd recommend printing off the entire mechanics manual here as you'll use it in the future I assure you.

Just a little Christmas gift to carry you for seasons to come. :salute:

10. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Yes, will do. Thanks again very much