1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Hydraulics won't work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mox-ct, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mox-ct

mox-ct Junior Member
    from CT

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm from Connecticut and have a Western Unimount on my 97 Ford F350 4x4. The Unimount is now about 13 years old and has work well for about 10 years. Last year when I put it away for the season, it would only raise, lower and angle right. This year when I hooked it up and attempted to trouble shoot, the hydraulics won't work at all. The lights work perfectly. I have the Western Mechanics' Guide and will attempt to trouble shoot the issues. Any and all thoughts on this subject are welcome.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I see your running "two" post..

Q: does the motor run when you move the controller??

Did you clean the connector plugs (grill), and make sure you have a tight fit, good connections, and have electrical grease inside?

Check the wires on the solenoid to make sure no wires are broken,corroded and all the wires are clean and making good contact?

Check the ground wire (black/orange) to make sure it is clean and making good ground contact. This wire also has something to do with the "S" valves coils!!

check what I mention, before you start replacing parts you don't need

let us know what how you made out..

3. mox-ct

mox-ct Junior Member
    from CT

While you were answering, I checked the truck again. This summer I made a modification to the engine compartment. In doing so I attached the negative wire from the motor power solenoid to the positive post on the battery (should be negative). I corrected this issue and now it goes up but no left and right.

I cleaned the grill plug yesterday, degreased it, blew it out with cleaner and air, twisted drill bits (by fingers) to clean out all the female connectors and re-greased it with dielectric grease.

I replaced the coils, but didn't check the wires for conductivity and appearance.

This morning I changed the oil and filter.

This leaves me with motor runs, plow raises and lowers, but no left and right (still).

BTW, thanks for all the input!!! Much appreciated.Thumbs Up

4. twinman326

The black/orange should be attach to the solenoid, but on some vehicle, it doesn't have to be attach to the battery neg post..I had mine connected to the neg post, and it was screwing with my plow function..

If you still have it hook up to the neg post, remove it and then see what happens.

here is a pic of the valve block
    valvemanifoldABBB.jpg

As for the right and left
    S2 valve = right angle
    S2 and S3 = left angle

Here is a valve test procedure..You have to remove the valve from the block..
    test bb  cart.jpg

Now to test the coil before you test the valve, this is call a "magnet" test.. With the help of someone else moving the controller, take a screw driver (making sure the plow is on and you did not remove the valves from the valve manifold block)
    Hold the screw driver on S2, and have your friend move the controller to the right..If the screw driver pull to the coil, then the coil is ok..Do the same to S3.. After your done with that, then test the valves.. Make sure the "black/orange" wire is not broken and making good contact

You also might have a problem with the "poppet check valve"

Stay with this thread

valvemanifoldABBB.jpg

test bb  cart.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. mox-ct

mox-ct Junior Member
    from CT

I performed a different test. I connected a different controller to the in cab plug and everything works just fine.

6. twinman326

That great...Just make sure the tips inside the plug make good connection..I had a problem were my plow would work then stop..I had another controller, plug it in , and it work..Then while I was plowing, the plow stop working, put the old controller back on, and the plow work..Come to find out, the plug was not making a good connection.. I spread the tips a little, and fix the problem.. Just some advice..

Happy holidays, and safe plowing.

Here are two links for you..download them
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/21936_121704.pdf

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. mox-ct

mox-ct Junior Member
    from CT

I'll be sure to check that out!!!:D

8. twinman326

don't forget the links

9. mox-ct

mox-ct Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for reminding me. I had the mechanics guide, but an older version. I didn't have the electrical schematics guide. Nice stuff.

10. twinman326

Your welcome dude.....Safe plowing..