1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount hydraulic question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mister Plow, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

I have a unimount that seems to be struggling to move the blade around. I think I have it figured out, but would like some input as to if I'm on the right path.

Background:
    I put the plow on a different truck this year..(not important).... and flushed the fluids out and cleaned the intake filter. I did remove the 4-way (S-3) solenoid because it was sticky and not allowing the plow to go left. I got it freed up and running decent, but not great.

Now, when ever I move it, it seems to struggle against it self...

When moving left or right, it also pushes forward with both rams. I can see the plow tilt forward as it moves, and straighten back up when the movement stops. It also tilts forward when lifting it up, then straightens when I stop lifting it up. Again, like both rams are getting pressure whenever the pump is engaged.

I think I need a new 4-way solenoid (S-3)

If fluid is leaking from one side of the spool to the other, instead of being separated, it seems to me that it would be appyling pressure to both rams......... Does this sound like it is my problem??

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It sounds like a good place to start. It wouldn't hurt to remove all the valves and check them for movement and condition especially the orings.

3. Mister Plow

Ahh..... the O-rings......... I hadn't thought about that, but that makes sense, too.. (where is the face-palm emoji?)
    And a lot cheaper to try. :)

If I do need an S-3 valve, where is the most econimical (cheap) place to buy one??

4. Mister Plow

I figured out that I can take the coil from the S-1 valve, and with the plow in the float mode (solenoid coil energized) I can slip it on and off the other valves and hear the "click" of the spool moving back and forth. That's how I determined the S-3 was not moving.

Anyways, is there an 0-ring kit you can purchase for these valves? Pulling them out and measuring them up is not a big deal, but if there is a kit, it would make it easier.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You can try Angelo's or cpw. They will ship.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pretty sure if you went to a dealer you can get just the orings.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western does not sell o ring kits for valves but we have gone to a local hydraulics specialty shop and aquired them. Just take the valve so they can get the number off of it.