1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Hose Routing, Pump Maintenance

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by badpeanut, Sep 6, 2011.

1. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I'm doing some maintenance on my Unimount.

1) First question, I did a bonehead and am not sure I have the angle ram hoses hooked up properly to the pump. Is the picture correct with the driver side ram on the front?

2) Is my hose routing optimum (best routing throught the metal strain relief, and best path to the pump)?

3) The system currently has the blue plow fluid. There was a little bit of dirty fluid in the reservoir, but no debris so I just wiped it out. I plan on replacing the gasket between motor and reservoir since it ripped when I took it appart.
    a) Should I replace the oil seal between the motor and pump?
    b) Is there a good way to clean the filter or should I replace it?
    c) Is there anything else I should replace while I am here?

mywestern8-14.jpg

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

hoses look ok the routing is the way they are supposed to be
    to check to see if you put them on the right make sure you have enough fluid but if you hit the control left the plow should go left if you hit the control left and the plow goes right switch them .

but everything looks good
    change everything all the seals and the filter so you dont have problems later on.:mechanic:

3. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Do both of your hoses go throw that bracket on the head gear I was wondering if I had to put them throw their.

4. snowplowpro

from NJ

yea there supposed to go threw the bracket that keeps them out of the way when the plow angles

5. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ok thanks SnowPlowPro. Does the electric wires from the head lights on the plow do they go through their as well.

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

no they just sit there kinda out of the way what i did was wire tie them to head gear all the way down

7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i demand you share info about your sweet truck howd you get a unimount on it did you modify a mount or do they make a mount for that sweet truck? did you have to upgrade the electrical system? is it a k10 or 20 please post pics!!

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You may want to drain the fluid on the rams as well especially if you had debris in the reservoir.

9. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ok thanks again SnowPlowPro.

10. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I'll update this post: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=82828

11. randomb0b123

from america

thanks!!!!

12. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I failed in my attempt at draining the angle rams tonight. The plow is sitting on the floor on the shoes and I'm not strong enough to angle the plow. I disconnected one of the angle rams from the rear of the plow, but am not strong enough to compress the ram. I thought about removing the rams and turning them upside down, but the nylon lock patch nut on the top is nearly inaccessable. What is the best way to drain these angle rams?

13. randomb0b123

from america

obviously first it should still be on truck then reconnect the ram and take the hoses off at the cylinders, floor jack it in the center of the aframe so the blades releived and "floating" now work it back and forth til all the nasty old fluids out

14. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sorry I should have told you that. Also I think it helps work the air out. Once you have emptied the rams put the end of the hose from the ram in a container of plow fluid and turn the plow. This will fill that ram with fluid then hook it up to the truck and move it around. When you angle it the other way it will fill that ram with fluid and the first ram you filled will put fluid back in the reservoir not air. Not that it is a big deal but I think it helps.

15. snowplowpro

from NJ

always a pleasure to help out fellow plowers

16. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

Thanks; this worked like a charm.

This is a good idea. My filter and gaskets will arrive today or early next week; I'll try it when I have everything.

17. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Now that you have it all serviced don't forget to remove the "stand pin" from the lift assembly before up raise the plow...
    Otherwise your going to bend "it" along with the bracket it's going thru when you do raise it all the way up...
    :rolleyes: John...

18. snowplowpro

from NJ

yea those things are a pain i cut mine off and use a railroad tie to hold the plow up