1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJC, Dec 14, 2010.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I have a 7 1/2 Unimount and here is the problem I'm having and I hope you will be able to help me. The first thing that happened was when you lifted the plow up it would just drop back down even in the neutral position. I have changed the Solenoids under the hood and now if you move the joy stick in any position the motor will stay running even after joystick is in the neutral position. The only way you can shut it off is to either unplug the joystick of disconnect battery. I have even tried a bifferent joystick and it still does the same thing. Any help please on what it could be.....

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Are you sure you haven't hooked the solenoid up wrong. I would first replace it with the old one, or a brand new one, as it apparently has caused an additional issue here.

When you say it still does the same thing....you mean continuously running, or that the plow drops after deactivation? I would recommend that you try the second controller out again AFTER replacing the solenoid once again. If you need a wiring chart for the solenoid, just say so....

3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Sorry, it will continuously run. Once I unplug the joystick or disconnect the battery it shuts off. After I plug it in again and connect battery the motor does not run until I move the joystick and it repeats itself. The solenoid could be kooked up wrong because I didn't't think it made a difference what wire went on what terminal. Guess I will need a wire chart.
    Thanks for the info because there are no western dealers in this area and I'm depending on plowsite to get it up and going again.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

Deffentlry swap the solenoid again...with the old one, or a new one.

I don't think it does matter now that I think about it....atleast not with the big posts.

relay.JPG

relay.JPG

5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Ok I will make sure the small wires are hooked up correct.

6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I forgot to mention that the plow will not go up or either way while the motor is running.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

......odd! Start with the relay first, otherwise you can't diagnose it further.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I got it fixed today and the relay was part of the problem. I had to add an extra ground wire from the neg post on battery to one of the small terminals on the relay. Then the connections between the truck and plow gear where bad. I had to cut them out and wire it direct. I don't take the plow off from that truck in the winter so it should be fine. At least its up and working for the time being. Thanks for your help Repo!!!

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

They have repair ends for much of those connectors so you don't have to buy the whole harness and can have the freedom of removing the plow if needed.

10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Well, I thought I had the problem fixed. I used it a few mins day before yesterday and it was fine. I go out this morning and sometimes it works correct and others no matter what way you move the joystick it only angles to the right. other times the motor will run but the plow will not move at all. Could there be air in the lines since I had drained the fluid and cleaned everything??

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be air.. Try swinging the plow by hand, left, wait about a minute, then right slowly. then recheck your fluid level. Also check the plug connector to the controller. Make sure it is making a good connection.

Thinking about it, when I install my harness, I hook up the black/orange wire that pig tails off the solenoid to the neg side of the battery and I lost control to the plow. I removed it from the neg terminal (not the solenoid) and I regain full function to the plow..weird

12. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Well I think the fluid is fine but I noticed now that if I let it set over night that both batteries will be dead in the morning. This is starting to get old.......lol

13. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Sounds like the controller is letting something try to engage, either the solenoid or one of the valves on the plow and killing the batteries. I'm guessing you turn the controller off? Nothing should be engaging if the controller is off. Do you have another controller to try?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your going to need to remove those extra grounds and get it back to an OEM setup in order to do this the right way.

15. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If I unplug the pigtails out to the plow its fine. Yes I shut the controller off when I park it for the night .

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Think of a ground as a faucet....it's the only thing stopping the water from moving forward...Water being power from the battery.

17. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem, some vehicle you have to ground the black/orange to neg side of the battery, and some vehicle you can not do. It make the plow become malfunction. In your case, I would take that wire OFF the neg side of the battery.. Check to make sure the black/orange wire is clean and has a good connection on the plow frame, or motor itself..

REPO, did you get my text?? If so can you jump on the thread. I left you a link in your e-mail

18. ford guy 2001

ford guy 2001 Junior Member

controller turn off

i just tried putting my plow on my truck hooked everything up plugged my plugs in my lights switched turned the controller on pushed the up button lights switched to truck lights and controller shut off plow wiring has been installed since 2001 when truck was new