1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount help... only lights work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by foxxracer278, Dec 13, 2010.

1. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Junior Member

just put a unimount on my 97 wrangler and i cant get the control to turn on all i can get to work is the lights everything converts over and is wired up right but i get no power to the control not even the light turns on so the plow wont move >>><<<< any ideas ?

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Red wire under the dash in the control harness connected to a key on power source ? FUse in that wire good? Long orange/Black wire with ring terminal by the solenoid grounded to the battery negative?

Good ground on the negative terminal on the plow motor? , 9 pin Harness ends clean and all pin's in the male end accounted for?

Just a few......

TOM

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Why your at it, make sure the wires on the solenoid are clean and making good contact

4. foxxracer278

the solinoid is almost brand new so i no they are clean

5. foxxracer278

i have the wire connected to my fuse box where there is no fuse that i no it has power going threw bc i would use it for my off road lights all the pins are clean and there the - is all good

6. twinman326

check the controller plug that plugs into the harness. U might have a problem there. And for future reference , the controller feed wire (red wire) should be tap into one were or when the ignition key is turn on it will power the controller. You don't want the controller power all the time even when the truck is off and not in use.

Did you check the controller fuse??

(look again at post #2 on here again)

Here is a mechanical guide pdf. This should have a "controller" test
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Use a test light and check for power at the red wire in the 6 pin plug that the controller plugs into , it has to have power for the controller to power on.

Twinman is correct about the controller plug also .

TOM

8. foxxracer278

if that does not have power what would that be because

9. twinman326

possible broken wire, or one of the tip inside the plug might be broken off or bent.. U also check the grounds???

Nasty-Z did you check that thread out yet???

10. foxxracer278

my + and - cable are not getting power....... the plow works just hooked it up to a friends truck and it goes right up so its my wiring ...... my solinoid is getting power from the bat but as it leaves it does not should it as the plow is on ?

11. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The red wire I mentioned in post 2 under the dash isn't connected to a switched power source.

The solenoid will not feed power through itself if the controller dosen't power on.

Did you check for power at the red wire of the controller plug?

TOM

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  12. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Yup, you have it well in hand , I offered to check it out if he is close to me.

TOM

13. foxxracer278

i get no power at the red wire on the control plug.....??????? also yes i get power at the red wire bc if that is not hooked up the lights turn off

14. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

So you do have power at the red wire , or not ???

TOM

15. foxxracer278

the control is getting no power from any of the wires that it hooks up to............but the red wire coming out of the group of wires right before the control box has power

16. foxxracer278

the ride wire has power.........

so then that wont have power......

the red wire to the controller plug has no power

17. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Again I ask , Which is it ? If the red controller power wire has , well, no power , the plow will NOT function.

TOM

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. foxxracer278

yes i get the fact that i the controller has no power that the plow will not work ..... but now i am stuck still at that the controller is getting no power.... could i have the solinoid set up wrong or a bad solinoid even tho its brand new ? could someone post a pic of how the solinoid should be set up?

19. Madigan Ind.

Madigan Ind. Junior Member

Have you gotten this all sorted out yet? I think yer best bet would be to go to Westernsnowplows.com and take a look at the owner's manual for the plow. The wire diagram and everything is located there. It would be much easier this way then trying to have everyone on the site shooting blind. I think you likely have something reversed. It can be very easy to get all the wires confused and mixed up.

20. twinman326

Reading your last post, your "NOT" getting power to the controller. Correct????

The lights work off the relays. The relays flip over because there is a wire attach to your parking light.once you turn on you head lights and the plow is hook to the truck, the lights will flip over..

Stupid question:

The plow is still attach to the truck??

Are both plugs( power and plow harness in front of the grill) hook up?

Did you check the wires (small ones) on the solenoid especially Brn/Red wire. This wire feed back into the controller harness?? There is also a "Black/orn wire which is a ground wire which also feed back into the controller harness. check them again

Don't assume the wire could be in good shape. They can be damage inside the casing. they could be shorting between the firewall.

Also on post #6 I gave you a link...Down load the PDf . Look at pages 53-70. These are for a (pin )harness..The relay wiring is also shown on these pages..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010