1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount help asap please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Whiffyspark, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im installing a western unimount system on a 2003 dodge 1500. It looks like it was an old relay system but some added new headlights to it. The plugs picture i would assume would go to an iso module, or do we just need a headlight harness for this truck?

thanks

2. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

also, it's a 2 plug system

3. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

3 plug actually, my mistake

2 plugs for the motor, one for the headlights

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Lets get this "2 plug / 3 plug" thing clairified first. You have a four port module, with a three plug hookup at the grill. One plug (with the two big connectors) is from the power relay to the motor. The second plug is exclusively for the valves and the third plug is exclusively for the lights.

The cable, in your photo, that has the #1 tag at the plug is the control cable. It goes to port 1 on the isolation module and then branches off, one leg goes to the controller, a second leg goes to the motor relay and the third leg goes out to the grill to connect to the plow.

The other cable shown in your photo, labelled #2 is the output from the isolation module to the plow lights. It is a simple thing, one piece, no legs, and just goes from iso module out to the plow for the plow lights.

Note the little black plug that connects those two cables near the iso modle plugs is what I will call a ground interlink. This is a very important connection because if it comes apart the vehicle will not know the plow is connected. It turns on the controller and switches the lights from truck to plow. A signal is sent out to the plow through the light cable, this signal goes through the plug and then loops right back and goes to ground through that little plug and finally through yet another identical plug near the battery. You will notice that these wires all have black insulation with an orange tracer.

You still need the correct (four port type) headlight harness kit. If you buy it new it will come with three cables. A long one that goes to the far headlight, a short one that goes to the near headlight (the port on the isolation module you plug into will determin whether the signals flash on the correct side, if they flash wrong just switch these two plugs on the isolation module, that is port 3 and 4) You will also get a new module to plow light cable but you already have one of those.

Have a look at this link: http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/28561.04_052407.pdf on page 3. This diagram shows a nice overview of the whole electrical system in graphic form rather than schematic.

By the way, there is a proper adapter bracket to put those nice nighthawk headlights on the uni light frame. If your lights are not well mounted let us know and I will get you the part number for the adapters.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Looks to me like you did pretty good with finding the correct part numbers.... That kit includes what you need as long as you have the HB1 or HB5 (this harness goes both ways). You can also pull the bulb itself out and look at what is written on it. Just be sure of what you have before you commit.

Another thing to consider is that you seem to be getting an isolation module with this kit too. I thought perhaps you already had one. I knew you would get another module to plow cable but didn't think this kit wold come with isolation module. I know the same part number from Western does not include the isolation module, it's just the harnesses, papers and misc bag.

If you don't have an isolation module and need one I would recommend getting the three port isolation module and headlight harness. The wires you have (in photo) are compatible with that too. If you need to buy something why not get the latest technology for the same price? The module is smaller and I think easier to trobleshoot. Might even be less $$ as there is less wire etc.

If that is the case just go to Western's quick match: http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/quickmatch.php
    Click "the quick match" button, then plunk in your vehicle specs and select ANY plow that it offers you. (Headlight harness and iso module will be the same for that truck for all plows) When you get to the "selection summary page" at the end just make sure it has defaulted to the three port isolation module, that is, the three port module button is checked (or four port if you want to verify your already selected numbers) and then just read from the list which Headlamp Harness and 3 Port Isolation Module numbers it selects.

I do this all the time for people over the phone and the only thing that goes wrong is when people guess at their bulb type. Drives me crazy, every bulb has a different plug so you need to be sure.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012