1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount headlights too low

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

I picked up a used 7.5' unimount and installed it on my truck at the end of last season. The headlights on it seemed to be aimed towards the ground maybe 10 feet in front of the truck. This makes driving at night with it almost impossible. Since it was at the end of the season last year I didn't bother with it. I'm getting ready to mount the plow up again this year and want to fix the problem. How do I go about adjusting the headlights? I see that where the light tower attaches to the frame there's what appears to be extra holes to move the light tower up. Only problem is the very top extra hole goes into the square tubing at the very top and there's no way to get a nut on the other side of the bolt. Are these holes actually there for adjusting the headlights? If not is there another way to get these aim'ed straight instead of aimed at the ground? Also has anyone successfully installed HID's into these old unimounts? If my descriptions aren't good enough I'll snap some pics in the morning.

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

On my unimount there is a mounting stud to the bottom of the light, it goes through the plate and attaches with a nut. In between the bottom of the light and the frame there is a spacing lug that is used for adjusting up down. I have to either loosen the nut adjust the light and re tighten, or usually I end up cutting the stud and replacing the light then setting it before I tighten it up. Pics always help lol.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

lost me with the holes thing. usually the best thing to do is heat the nut,,take off the light, die the nut, 1/2 x 13, ANTISEEZE the bolt, reinstall with stainless washer, lock wasker and nut. should be good to go for a long time. just keep a 3/4 wrench in the truck if you wanna adj, them in the middle of the night, your good to go,
  4. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Alright, i'm having some work done to my truck right now and when I get it back i'm going to mount up the plow so I'll snap some pics then
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok that works. Visuals are always good. :)
  6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

if it is a unimount, be ready to fix the bolt after it breaks or spins off inside the headlight and you have to cut it off with a cut grinder.

There is no way to back the nut up so

It is not hard to do, you just drill out the 6 rivits on the bottom of the light, but a new blot in the socket, and put 6 new rivits or bolts in.
  8. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the help, I still haven't had a chance to try your suggestions though, damn life getting in the way. I'm gonna try to get a crack at it today and i'll post my results.