1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount headlight problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by aquku, Jan 14, 2012.

1. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

Hello!
    I have a 97 Chevrolet pickup with a unimount western plow. Went to plow yesterday and whenever I angle the plow blade or lift up the plow, the lights from the plow switch off and the truck lights come on.

As soon as I stop the plow movement, lights come back on the plow. I am thinking it is either a ground issue or a relay issue. Any help would be appreciated!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your relays that switch the headlights from the truck to the plow are activated by a wire that grounds out through the multipin plug at the grill to the motor negative lug. If the two pin plug, for the motor, at the grill is loose you will loose the ground for the relays and they will switch over to the truck. Check all the grounds between the motor terminal and the battery, it could be anywhere along that line. Also look at the black / org wire that comes from the plow light / control harness. If that wire is broken it will do the same thing. In any case it sounds like a ground problem to me.

3. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

thank you...i will look into that today

4. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

Possible solution - After looking into this a bit more and using a jumper wire, it was definitely a ground issue. Battery side and motor side, all the grounds were good. Then I dove into the wiring harness. Checked all grounds from the lights back to the truck...everything checked out. Then I ran a jumper wire to bypass the ground on the light relay...then all the lights worked as they should. So, I plan on picking up a new relay and adding another ground, just to be sure everything is grounded nicely.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Good to hear you are on the right track.