1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount headlight issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdknight75, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

When i turn my plow lights on the running lights come on, the headlights do not. When i put my light tester on it to check for power, they are getting power, but the lights will not come on. I thought the lights were bad so i bought new ones but have the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

you might check the relays to make sure all the wires are plugged in. The power might work but the light itself might not.. Just a thought.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Check the ground inside the headlight....

4. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

You were right it was a bad ground, but i can not find where the ground is, the only thing inside the light is a black and orange wire that grounds the the pump, do you know where the other grounds could be?

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

What version plow lights? I dont think it really matters, but what plow setup is it?

The headlights should share a ground with the turn/marker lamps. Check the actual headlight plug inside for corrosion.... or wiggle the wire and see if the light comes on.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds like a broken ground circuit. If there are any scotchloks used in the wiring to the truck lights I would first look at each of them as they can fail due to corrosion or even break the wire they are tapped into. Gently wiggle the loom where the plow lights tap into the truck lights, around each of the connectors, with the lights on. You will probably find broken strands in the connector that ties the plow light grounds to the truck lights ground.

7. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

Sorry it is a unimount, i bought the truck with truckside mount, had to buy new lighting harness for truck, and bought the plow used, turnsignal and marker lights work, I put a ground directly on back of the headlight post and they came on. but cant find where the bad ground would be, also is the white wire on the light the ground, when i put a light tester on the wire, it appears to be hot?

8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

White would be hi beam hot, the problem is in the blk/orange wire.... wiggle it at the headlight connector and see if the lights come on.

9. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

I checked the blackorange wire at every conection, lights still dont work, when i put the ground directly to the light it comes on, I dont know western that well but could one of the coils on the back of the pump be bad, I have noticed that there are no other ground in side the truck i am familiar with meyer and they have more grounds, did i miss something or does western not ground like meyers do, just fishing here as i dont know what else to do.

10. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

the wiring harness that western sends has three light connections, THe two blue conectors plug directly to the truck headlights driver side plugs in to that, does the passenger side truck light plug into anything, the reason i am asking is because on the passenger side i unpluged the western harness pluged original wire back in and the lights on the passenger side plow came on.

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the truck running or just the ignition on? try turning the truck on and see if that makes a difference.

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

unpluged the western harness from what? the main truck light? one side of the trucks factory harness will get taped up as they are not used. The other side will plug into the western light harness...

Sounds like it is still a ground issue on the plow side. The marker/turn lights on the plow ARE working. correct?

13. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

yes the cab marker is working, is there supposed to be a ground somewhere on the passenger side, because the new harness is not grounded anywhere.

14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

By cab, you mean the factory truck marker? The headlight harness does not itself ground. The ground for the relays and such is the very same blk/orn wire that runs to the neg battery post.
    Go here and download the mechanics guide. It has the wiring diagrams in it.

http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp?cat=242