1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Headlamp Wiring - 12 pin vs 9 pin?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by doodad, Dec 26, 2007.

1. doodad

doodad Junior Member

Hey folks, I've been reading your site for a while, but no posts. Lots of good info & people here, thanks in advance.

I've got two unimount plows, and until recently thought they were reasonably identical. When I mounted my older plow on my newer truck, everything worked OK till I tried the highbeams - nothing. In looking I noticed the control harness plugs are different, older is 9 pin and the newer is 12 pin.

I looked up the schematics and it appears the newer harnesses isolate the left/right lamps a little differently. All of the hydraulic controls look same same.

Has anyone figured out a good way to adapt between these two setups? I don't want to change vehicle harnesses, but I'd consider changing plow harnesses or upgrading to the Nighthawk lighting or whatever. I would also consider using repair harnesses to make an adapter, or something else weird. I don't necessarily want to permanently swap, but nice to be able to put either one on with less juggling.

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions for those of you with more experience, maybe some out of the box thinking.

2. doh

doh Senior Member

I recently purchased a new front peice (everything you unhook) for my truck. My truck was a 9 pin, the new plow was a 12 pin.

I just spliced the headlights togeather I forget the colours, (Hint higher than the lowest part of the loop is hanging at the plow)

White to- white

Blk Orange to drk blu or, lt bl org

blk to blk and blk white
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  3. doodad

doodad Junior Member

That works for putting my newer plow on my older truck. However, my older 9 pin plow needs help on my newer 12 pin truck.

I'm thinking I need a new 12 pin harness #61558 for my old frame, then I can whip up some jumpers if I ever need it to go on my older truck.

I just found a cool 28340 bracket kit to put nighthawks on my uni frame without any fab on my part. Now I just need the rest of the numbers.

Thanks again.