1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount having trouble on first raise..

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by monson770, Oct 11, 2011.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

to start off, i have an 8ft unimount, isarmatic.
    everytime i start up the truck and try to lift the plow up for the first time, it wont lift more than a couple inches, then all you hear is the pump working.. after i drop it down and try for the second time, it lifts right up.. not sure where to start looing.. i was thinking it could be that my packing nut is too tight, i have read that it should leak a very small amount and it doesn't leak at all. but i don't have a wrench large enough at the moment to turn it..

does anyone have a better idea? i do know that my pivot pin hole is a little oblonged but i don't think that has anything to do with the raising action.. also i tried filling up the pump with fluid, it did seem to be a littel low. but that didn't change how it acted..

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That doesn't sound like a packing nut (gland nut). I think you have a sticky valve. A tight packing nut would not come and go like you describe. Try pulling the cover off the valves and removing each valve for examination. If the coil comes off hard then the valve is swollen. You can use a couple little jumper wires to put 12 volts to the coil (while the valve is out) and see if the valve moves with a nice click. If not then it is sticking.
    Here is a link to the mechanic's guide. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf Page 17 shows the valve schematic. S3 is most likely the problem.

If the valves are all OK then you should loosen & retorque the gland nut, but be carefull. When they are really tight sometimes the hex portion will break off of the threaded part.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Just for reference. I was having problems with my 8'6" plow when I purchased it. I had a couple valve issues, so its not uncommon.
  4. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

ill check it out, gotta do a couple more things to the plow before the snow starts fallin... so another day in the shop making sure all my valves are good and cleaning out the pump housing might not be a bad idea.. thanks guys!