1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount hard time lifting plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robber27, Dec 18, 2012.

1. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I just changed the oil and flushed the cylinders on a strait blade uni mount plow I replaced the gasket ring on the motor and the houseing gasket as well. It will angle just left and right just fine but struggles to lift the plow more than 2 inches high. Any help or suggestions with this problem would be appreciated thanks

2. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Check fluid level. Takes a lot to fill the cylinders and hoses.

3. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I filled it once ran the plow back and fourth multiple times, stopped filled once more I'm at a 1.5+ qt's

4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Make sure the lift arm is all the way down when you fill it.
    it takes little by little its not gonna take a quart it goes in slow.

5. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Ive got same problem, but cant get lift cylinder to go all the way down..its like frozen with an inch and a half to go ...suggestions>>

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

leeddog- Valve is sticking or not getting it's power. Pull it and check it's operation and for debris.
    OP issue could be air in the system. When you open the cap to fill it can you hear air pushing out?

7. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Definitely no air in system. Checked for that a number of times, that was my first thought.

Thw whole valve thing freaks me out. Are there good diagrams on westerns mechanic check list thing?

Thanks for all your help/

Also, just switched out controller and its working better, just slow at the top of raise still.

Think its electrical after that?

Jimmy

8. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Definitely no air in system. Checked for that a number of times, that was my first thought.

Thw whole valve thing freaks me out. Are there good diagrams on westerns mechanic check list thing?

Thanks for all your help/

Also, just switched out controller and its working better, just slow at the top of raise still.

Think its electrical after that?

Jimmy

9. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

When you push the arm down is you're controller in the float position all the way down.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

leed........sometimes that can be caused by over filling,,,put in float, push ram dwn by hand,,if it stops short,,remove either the fill or the vent and see if the ram goes dwn (while pushing dwn still) did you pull the canister off when you did a drain and fill???

11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Western has great and easy to follow mechanics guides and you can find them on their website. Testing a valve is very easy.