1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount going slow...stops

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mxz, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mxz

mxz Junior Member

I have a 8 foot unimount, the plow started moving slow then would stop moving. I had a issue with the plug so I changed out the truck side plug. I cleaned the filter and changed the fluid, I also took off the motor(big red can) cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and blew it out. The plow moves but slowly for a couple times and then stops moving. I had also noticed the plow had started making a straining kind of noise in the last storm. I am looking for suggestion or what direction I should be going in? I was getting ready to change out the electric motor next but figured before I spend the money I would check here. The plow doesnt have a lot of hours on it but it wasn't used for a few years up until last year. Thanks
  2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

It could be a few things, but I've had two things cause this most often for me:

1. Filter clogged. It can happen pretty fast if something's deteriorating in the system somewhere.

2. The pump itself. This is the actual pump that mounts with two bolts directly below the motor (has 4 bolts, two hold it down, two hold it together). I've been told not to pull it apart. I've replaced a bunch of these for this reason and had good luck. There's also an O ring under the pump that can go bad and cause issues.

These are my experiences with the concern you're having. Good luck.
  3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

When the plow stops moving does the motor still run or does the moptor shut off. If the motor is still running it probably isn't the motor.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to break it down between electrical or mechanical. I would put an ampmeter on the motor cable and observe the current flow as the system fails. If the current drops off to almost nothing as it fails then I would call it a motor or power problem. If the current increases then the motor is being loaded down and it is mechanical. Ice in the system may also be a problem. If there is moisture in the fluid and you keep the plow outside in the cold then that would accumulate on the sump screen and plug things up. If you have a heated garage to park in over night the problem would go away when the plow & fluid warms up, then it would come back when you go out in the cold again. You could also try putting a voltmeter on your motor terminals and see what your voltage is when it fails. If, when the pump is running, the voltage goes up as the motor slows down then the motor is shot. If the voltage drops as the motor fails then you either have a bad connection in the cables or relay or there is a high current draw pulling the voltage down. High current draw could be either a bad motor or a mechanical load like a valve problem or a seized pump.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you change the fluid, did you purge out the air in the system?

Is the plow making the noise or when the motor is running?
  6. mxz

mxz Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I had my son operate the plow while I listened and tried an ampmeter and it became obvious real quick that it was the motor. I changed out the motor and it was back to working like it should.
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

glad to hear the plow is up and running

Safe plowing