1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Frozen???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ajordan193, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

I my uni-mount keeps freezing up on me. Tonight the plow raised up very slowly and then i set it down to get the fluid moving and wouldn't raise back up. I can hear the motor spinning but nothing seems to work. Everything works good when i bring it inside and let it thaw out. For fluid i use regular ATF. What can do to keep this from happening?

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Stop using ATF would be the first thing. Get it inside and warm, pull it all apart and flush it all out including the angle rams. Refill with the proper low temp hydraulic fluid.

3. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Explain to me why i shouldn't use ATF? I use it in both my plows and my ultra-mount works perfectly.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Because your plow is not an automatic transmission, ATF will be thicker at low temperatures and can cause degradation of the internal seals. It should also be noted that Western doesn't advise using ATF in either the Uni or Ultra mount plows.

5. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

So what do you recommend using? OEM Western Fluid?

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Any quality low temp hydraulic fluid will work whether it be Western or any other plow brand, some have had issues with the SAM fluid you can buy at auto parts stores.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You can use ATF with a Weterbplow but I recomend adding a little iso heat to the mixture just a dribble will do. I have been using it for years and never had a problem with it.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Why not just run the correct fluid and not have to add anything. [​IMG]

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Probably because for $7 a quart for the S.A.M. fluid, people would rather run ATF that has been used for years without problem.

As for getting it to stop freezing, let the plow sit int he garage where it is warm overnight and then drain the fluid. The water should come out first but drain the whole thing, Unhook the ram oses and move the blade by hand to drain them. Refill with new fluid (ATF is fine if that is what you want to use just add a few DROPS of iso heat to it), cycle the blade a few times and top off the fluid.

10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

$7/quart is cheap enough for peace of mind, most probably spend more than that a week for coffee. Also as I mentioned earlier ATF is not recommended for either the Uni or Ultramount. IMO it's about using the correct fluid, I can put a water/alcohol mix into the radiator and it will probably work but antifreeze will work better.

11. saulgood

saulgood Junior Member

Funny, I'm having a similar experience today.
    I lifted up the plow (western isarmatic pro 8', solenoid/non-cable)
    and it worked for a few motions (u-d-l-r), and progressively got to where it barely lifted up, and has since barely moved the ram.
    when I bought it, it had supposedly been cleaned out last year, but I changed out the fluid per the manual, I couldn't get the drain plug out, and even thought I purged both the angle rams, I never did get a complete dump on the pump, I just tilted it down and let it pour out.

So I guess I'm a moron, I probably have water in the lines, and I should thaw it in a garage, purge it with kerosene and refill it?

If it was working two days ago and suddenly does this, is it a good bet I have water in there?
    any recommendations on how to get a stripped 1/4 drain plug out?
    thanks

btw, I refilled with jthomas' actic hydro fluid, but I guess it doesn't matter if theres water in it, huh?

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

saul easiest way (IMO) is to pull the motor off and dump it out that way. Just make sure you've got a new gasket to put on or some cork to make your own. That will allow you to take some brake cleaner or spray of your choice and clean out the reservoir.

13. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Yea, and clean the pump screen while you have the motor off!! , it never hurts to change the o-ring on the bottom of the pump eather, its only two more bolts once the motors off.

14. saulgood

saulgood Junior Member

Thanks, I just need to procure a replacement bolt for the motor if I pull it off, I think napa may stock them. everything on this plow is secure via oxidation if you know what I mean.
    Aside from the pivot bolt, which was just about sheared off, and got a new one, or close too it anyway.

15. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Don't be scared to take it apart, you'll be shocked at how simple it is...and yes use proper plow fluid...it will seam really cheap next time your frozen up and swearing at it with ATF in it!!

16. camaro688

camaro688 Junior Member

I am having the same problem today! I went out this morning about 11am. Everything worked fine,then at about 2pm angling or going up moved almost to the point of not moving at all. Two weeks ago I removed motor,changed drained fluid,cleaned reserve,changed filter,and installed western fluid like I always do. At about 4pm I removed the motor pack and drained oil again,refilled with western fluid and still same problem. Tomorrow I may replace motor if same problem. It is a western unimount pro I purchased in 2001. I have no idea how long those motor packs last. I have never had a problem like this before. Today it just got progressively slower and slower. I think on tuesday we will be getting snow again. So I will have to throw some money at it due to no garage space right now.

17. saulgood

saulgood Junior Member

I do recall a post where a guy said he took off the motor and blew off a bunch of dust and that helped him at that point. Also, did you purge your angle rams? possible they've been submerged in snow and taken on a big of moisture?

18. camaro688

camaro688 Junior Member

Saul,Forgot to mention for that 1/4 hex plug. Try hammer in a torx bit that is close to the hex size.I have done that before.You can replace your 1/4 inch drain plug with a drain plug from a Gm engine.
    It is a pipe plug with a 9/16 hex head on it for easy future removal.

19. camaro688

camaro688 Junior Member

Certainly could be possible on the ram part as you are saying.I did not see any water in reserve.I may purge those rams tomorrow.Thanks

20. saulgood

saulgood Junior Member

wish us all luck guys, happy winter, stay warm.
    I'll report back if I make some progress.