1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Ford Superduty 99-04

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cdorsey50stang, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cdorsey50stang

cdorsey50stang Junior Member

Need some help guys. I bought a Unimount truck side mount for my 2002 F-350.
    I cannot find any instructions and Western is not real helpful. Have any of you installed your own mounts of this type truck? I am pretty sure I need to remove the front bumper but I don't want to start this project until I have at least seen instructions, or had a good description of how this is done. My understanding is they stopped making the Unimount in 2002..... however there are still a ton of these out there.
    Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I've searched and searched for my answers to no avail.

2. Kopper10

Kopper10 Sponsor

If you want to send me an e-mail to jkopp@westernplows.com, I will get you the Installation Instructions.

Take care,

jeff

3. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/63244_032202.pdf

The link above should take you to the right one, but it's up to you to verify. I just installed mine about a month ago. It's not easy, at all. Front bumper comes off, power steering cooler gets relocated, lots of holes to be drilled into the frame.

I realized as I started getting into the installation that my "Uni-Mount Brackets" (according to the seller) were actually Ultra-Mount brackets with a conversion kit, so I didn't have to relocate my power steering cooler.

Best of luck to you. Western's website actually has a really good archive of service publications, so if you spend some time learning how to navigate it, you'll find a lot of good info there.

4. cdorsey50stang

Thank you so much guys. The link worked. I figured I could get it from Western website but couldn't navigate to it. I actually took the bumper off before reading directions and got the front part of the mount on. Pretty self explanatory and had it on with holes drilled in about 1 hour. The bad part is the mount I bought was not complete. It's missing the thrust braces. New thrust braces are $300 minimum each side! I will be making my own for about $40. Headlight wiring is confusing but I'll figure it out. Thanks again!

5. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

You're welcome and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, as I just went through it myself. You'll basically put the headlight connector between the factory headlight and wiring harness on the drivers side, then switch the passenger side headlight to the plow harness only (factory pass side headlight plug stays unplugged). The turn signals and running lights have to be tapped.

Kudos to you for getting the mount on that quick. It took me about 12 hours total to put mine on, spread out through several days. I guess that's what I get for trying to drill eight 9/16" holes into my frame with a cordless drill and old, dull bits.

6. cdorsey50stang

Thanks, I will definitely have wiring questions. I'm going to take plow from 91 Chevy to my Ford. Going to try and use the wiring from the Chevy and maybe buy the correct connectors etc... I have a feeling the lights may end up on their own toggle switch...haha

7. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I would think you could pick up the correct light harness for a reasonable price instead of having to go through all that. Get one for your correct truck and they are plug and play.

8. cdorsey50stang

I will try and find one for sure, first. I think I have seen some on Ebay for around $100. Might be worth that to save the headache. If I'm thinking right the solnoid and related parts should be the same for each Western set up, I would just need the FORD headlight harness hopefully. Thanks for all the helpful replies, what a great forum.

9. Rumble

Rumble Member

I have a western harness that came out of my 99 f250 that I will sell. I can get the part number off it when I get home. If you are interested.

Tim

10. cdorsey50stang

Definitely interested. I tried to PM you but couldn't figure out how.