1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount fire

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselss, Dec 22, 2012.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

hey all,,,lets see if can get anybody thining,,,,Nick im thinking this might get you.
    its a unimount on a 97 chevy 3500hd with drls that arent hooked up to turn on the plow lights.
    so we had a salting event, the driver went out to salt the account with the tk, didnt even have the plow controller on and said all this smoke came from the grill.
    he comes back and the 2 wire plug is toast,,,melted!!!!!!
    so,,,whats the thoughts??/
    the plow controller was not on,,,proved fact
    underhood and plow wiring appears to be in tact, no rubbing or chaffing.
    so anyone got any ideas as to where this started from???
  2. dieselss

nick you out there??? figure this one out yet??
  3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

It could be the solenoid went bad I had that happen to me I had one of those junk aftermarket solenoid on there and it caught fire or something was wired wrong and made the ground get to hot
  4. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

Well since i'm a Nick I think that the 2 wire is power and there has to be some way that the two touched inside of or near the plug. Its possible that they chafed inside the plug itself like maybe the plug got caught between the grill and bumper and got compressed.
  5. dieselss

Ok nick lol. Well I would say maybe,,,but again the driver was not using the plow,,so through the controller there was no signal.