1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount dont hold angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jeepjimmy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

96 unimount setup. angle and up.down work fine. but when hit a snowbank the plow does not hold its position like it used to. any ideas?

2. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I have the same problem, I was told to tighten the crossover relief valve screw. I did (maybe not enough) but still have the same problem

3. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

hhhmmmm need more opinions. all i have ever done is change fluid. never a problem.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Just had the same problem on a unimount, pulled out both relief valves and found small pieces of metal restricting the valves. Cleaned the parts, ran a magnet down both holes and reassmbled and its working fine again. No idea where the metal came from though but it was enuff to not let the blade hold its angle.

6. twinman326

Most likely the metal fragment came from the pump housing

7. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

should i change the fluid at the same time again?? i have read that it can be really tough to get out sometimes?? 1.5 turns in in the setting? or should you go to 2 turns in.

8. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

tough to get the valves out

9. twinman326

1 1/5 is good...The valve does come out. Make sure you check inside the hole to make sure nothing is blocking the passage..

You should change the fluid again, and the rams also..
    When you do the rams, use a jug and put both lines inside the jug (do not suck the fluid back into the lines)..Swing the plow (by hand and make sure the plow is sitting on to of a 2x4 and the ram is fully down) to the left. wait a couple of seconds, then swing the plow to the right. The do it again one more time.. Once you have the fluid out and the pump housing empty, check the suction filter. Clean the pump housing and the filter out with brake cleaner. Use a air gun to blow them both out..Once your done, refill the pump housing until the fluid is level. Once level, using the stick (or hand held) DO NOT RAISE THE PLOW, swing the plow to the left, wait 60sec, then swing it to the right wait 60sec. Do this two more times. Once your done, recheck the fluid level. Move the plow left then right, raise and lower the plow..Recheck the fluid level again..You just completed purging air out of the system..

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011