1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount/ conventional mold boards

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Chiputz, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

This might sound like a stupid question, but will the mold board off of a conventional mount plow mount to a unimount A frame? I have the conventional mount to look at but not the unimount with a bad mold board. Thanks.:confused:

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

not a stupid question at all. it depends which conventional blade and which unimount blade you are talking about.

a 7-1/2' conventional COULD be a 60018 (std steel), which was also used on unimounts before the midweight replaced it.

or if they are both pro plows (with the shock on the back) they would be the same.

but, if the conventional is the old style - what I call the 70's blade - then that is different from any unimount. It can be identified by having 5 ribs, the quadrant attaches to the blade with 3 pins, the cylinders have 1" pins instead of 3/4", and the ears on the quadrant are both inside the rib on the outer connection points.

I can help more if you tell me more. for instance I can't tell if you have the unimount plow and are looking to replace the blade, or if you have the conventional.

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I have an early 80's proplow with the shock, the unimount I'm looking at came off a 96 Chevy. That's as much as I know until I get the pics later tonight. The seller, who is 3 hrs away, told me the moldboard is very beat up and rusted out, but the A frame and the rest is in great shape. I don't have a whole lot of cash to mess around with and I already have the unimount undercarriage and truckside harness for my truck. He wants $700 for the whole deal, mount and all for the chevy...

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok, so your conventional plow is a pro, and you are thinking of buying this unimount to replace your conventional, but you are thinking you might use your blade on his plow.
    If his unimount ends up being a pro then that will work. If his is not a pro then your blade won't fit on it without some modification.

5. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I'm pretty handy with mods so if it's just pin sizes that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the quick reply!

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you're welcome. But it would be more than pin sizes. I was just listing ways to tell the difference. did you find out what it is? got pics?

7. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I got the pics of the unimount way early this morning and it's not a proplow and it is in very rough shape. There is almost no red left on the blade and you can see the moldboard is just about rusted through in large areas between the ribs. $700 seems pretty high for the plow. I guess it's back to the search...

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ahh, ok. good luck.

9. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Found a good 7'6" proplow with the controller for $800. It was used for 10 years to plow a 40x60 parking lot. The cutting edge is like new, just needs a coat of paint on the face of the moldboard and it's ready to go. Thanks for the info!

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sounds good. congrats!