1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Conundrum

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Crestview, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Crestview

Crestview Junior Member

So I'm driving along, doing my plow thing, nothing's out of the ordinary. Except I notice that maybe my plow isn't going down as far as it used to? I stop, put it up, and find that it's going much higher than it normally does at full up. I go back to my shop (level ground) and put the blade down. At this point it's impossible to take the lift chain off the arm. Usually there's about an inch of play in the lift cylinder that I can push down and release my chain. Now, however, this is not the case. Something shifted somewhere. Everything's covered in snow and I have customers waiting, so I use jack stands to prop the blade and manually lengthen my chain. (AND NO it did not "jump.")

So I head back out on the road and get a few miles (not plowing, just driving). I hit a bump in the road and the plow SLAMS and carries on and falls back to where it originally was. I pull over and find that now my chain is a few links too long, so I put it back to where it always was and everything is fine. I go down the road a bit and notice my passenger side plow light is broken. Upon further investigation I find that the light actually hit the hood, causing it to break. That's over a foot that it would have had to travel. I can't duplicate the situation again, and I can't even begin to budge the plow light/lift assembly back towards the truck in any way. All my pins are in place and everything looks normal... I didn't get to inspect the frame mounts, that's the only thing I can imagine is wrong. But everything seems perfectly fine on the truck side at a glance.

How the heck did my plow light hit my hood??????
  2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Hmm, which truck is it on and you're positive it hit the hood?
  3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i hvae had the chain wrap around the side of the bolt on the the bottom and make it tight. you might check that.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like your vehicle mount is falling off the frame of the truck. This is a serious problem and needs to be checked quickly before the plow falls off and goes under the truck! I would take it to a garage with a hoist or a pit and get under it to have a good look at the bolts into the truck frame.... Do it sooner than later because if your mount is coming off you could cause some serious damage to your truck, your plow and possibly kill people when it falls off completly!!!!!!
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It sounds like one of the pins that connects the light/lift tower to the a-frame is missing.
  6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would agree with jonny u about the pin breaking off.
  7. Crestview

Crestview Junior Member

There are only four pins to hook up, right? 2 on the bottom to hold the A-frame to the truck, and 2 on the top to connect the light/lift bar to the A-frame via those little metal wingy things with the two holes in them. Everything is there. I have to take the plow off on monday and check the connection to the truck. I can't imagine anything being loose because the plow was attached to the truck from factory with central hydraulics and everything.
  8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Of course if there are mounting pins missing or broken it's going to flop around but if the pins are all in and solid then don't discard the possibility that the mount bolts have sheared off or fallen out. Consider the stress that this plow has endured over the years. Obviously since it is a unimount then it isn't a spring chicken. And rmember that those guys doing installs at the "factory" are just human. They have bad days and can get lazy too. At my shop we have four people doing installs, I am the only lisenced mechanic of the bunch. Two others are welders and the last two are not even aprentices. Every businesses has to cut corners to make a buck. The fact is that your plow is moving in ways that it should not if it was installed correctly. You need to check all the possibilities.
  9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

There are two additional pins that mount the light tower to the a-frame. They are in-line with the two big pins that mount the a-frame to the truck mount, but inboard. These are what I'm betting the culprit are.