1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tonka329, Nov 22, 2014.

1. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Well, it comes to the conclusion that my handheld controller is going out. I can get the plow to move by pushing the buttons pretty hard... Anyone know who sells aftermarket controllers or a rebuild kit for mine? 6 pin handheld:help:

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a look at this link to the parts poster.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/29013.04_110109_for_Web.pdf
    Top right shows the various controllers and their guts. You can buy a new circuit board for you hand held. It's easy to change, just remove the screws, split the controller, unplug the board and put the new one in. No soldering required. Identify your controller and then look up the part number. Call your Western dealer and check the price. I don't know that anyone sells aftermarket controllers. The whole unit would be about $300, not sure what the circuit board costs.

3. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I am having same issue. You might ad well buy whole controller. The controller is like 20 cents mire lol and I'm not joking

4. mishnick

I wonder if you could just open the unit up and clean the contacts under the finger pads? It works if you press hard right? Buy a can of contact cleaner from an electronics store, maybe even use a scotch guard pad to clean the oxide off the contact surfaces. Maybe you spilled coffee or something on it and there is just some sugary residue on it. It's a shame to spend so much, sucks that there is so little $ difference between unit and just the board but not a surprise.

5. tonka329

tonka329 Member

The local dealer has new controllers for $304... I'm curious where to buy the new circuit board? Also wondering if some contact cleaner will do the trick also??

6. 00silverado

00silverado Member

u can try it mine is toast. Online they go for around 250. The circuit boards are like 253.20 and the whole thing is 253.60 so might as well order whole thing

7. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Controller is part #56462 and replacement PC board is #56472. You're right! The new board is $259 with the silicone pad. The whole controller is $265. For a $6 difference, I'll buy a new one and try some contact cleaner on the old one. However, the local Western dealer will have a batch come in next week for $304 each... WOW!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

9. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Ehhhh... Not sure. Seems kind of sketchy. Have you had this done to your remote MCG?

10. McG_Landscaping

a buddy has and has used it for a few more seasons. im sending one to him tomorrow

11. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Your buddy does this conversion?

12. McG_Landscaping

No. He sent a broken controller to the guy and the guy fixed it. The controller works perfectly now

13. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I had 3 hand held controllers go bad in 3 years so I made this. Used it all year last year and it works great.

20070101000014(1).jpg

14. mishnick

Looks like something built on Gyligen's Island! I trust you don't have a 12 hour snow route. I wouldn't want to use that for mare than a "get me by" solution!

15. mishnick

Just this AM I opened an old uni MVP controller that wouldn't turn the system on. I took a bit of a scotch guard pad to the contacts under the rubber pad and then sprayed it with brake clean & blew it dry with compressed air. Works good now. If that's all this guy is doing I think I will buy a case each of brake clean and scotch guard pads and go into the controller rebuild business.

It's not rocket science guys, two screws! Try it yourself!

16. tonka329

tonka329 Member

The scotch pads clean up the board contacts? I had the silicone buttons off and the board buttons looked like they had a black covering on them. Do I still try the Scotch Brite pad?

17. mishnick

The black stuff is the copper oxide. After you clean them with the scotch pad you will see two squiggly lines of copper that look like two snakes laying side by side. When the button is pushed the two copper lines are shorted together a connection is made. Clean these copper stripes and they will look like copper again. Then the controller will work. So yes, it's that black covering that is causing your problems, clean it off.

18. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Excellent! Thank you sir

19. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I ended up borrowing a friends . My new one came t9night and works great. As for the one I made its getting there. One day I will finish it

20. tonka329

tonka329 Member

mishnick,
    This isn't copper oxide so, I'm not sure if I should be scratching off the rubber with a Scotch Brite pad? Will it make a difference and expose the copper on the front of the board?

controller.jpeg