1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount controller ?????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shott8283, Nov 24, 2010.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

my unimount originally had the joystick controller and ive been looking for a handheld for a while

found one today on craigslist and bought it for $125, picked it up, took it home and tried to test it and it doesnt work

my joystick when plugged in works fine, and when i plug the handheld in it doesnt

i turn on the handheld and as soon as i hit one of the control buttons, it shuts off and doesn't activate the solenoid

as soon as I hit lower, the whole thing shuts off (including backlit panel) and then comes back on a few seconds later, and then i still have to hit the power button

I just want to rule out if there is something different between the two controllers that i dont know before i go after this guy that sold it to me and claimed it was 100%

and also - can a "western dealer " go through the controller and verify the board in it is good to go besides just hooking it up to a plow?

the only thing i can think of, is that the power wire going to the controller harness is constant on, and isnt switched with the ignition. im pretty sure this shouldnt matter since my joystick works perfect (minus the float is messed up)

my cousin has a hand held I am going to check with tomorrow to see if the problem follow.

either way

thanks guys

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

your dealer should have a tester for the controllers, at least mine does.

3. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

well that makes me feel a little better then - i thought the guy was trying to screw me

anyone else have any reasons why the one controller will work and the other one messes up?

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

a bad connection somewhere will lead to low voltage and make the handheld shut off.

you mentioned when hitting down the control turns off. also stated a problem with the float on your joystick. i would check the down valve and coil. 2 controls with down problems point to a plow issue.:salute:

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What revision harness do you have, the early version required a modification to the harnes for the handhelds to work.

6. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

the harness and plow were from a 95 dodge ram and installed on a 01 dodge ram . i can only assume the harness is from 95

can you point to the modification to the harness so i can look into it?

i checked with my cousins handheld controller and his being labled a "rev 8" works fine on my plow, the controller i bought is a rev 10 (can only assume its newer) and doesnt work properly.

i only had enough time to check the grounds and powers coming from the relay and that battery. havnt had a chance to check anything on the plow side yet

i did get the controller to work a little better. now it will run for a short amount of time, including float and then it will shut off.

thanks guys!

7. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

ok, looks like this controller wants to see a local ground instead of being grounded at the solenoid. found the instructions and i have to cut back near the white connector , snip the black/orange wire and ground it to the cab of the truck.

ill have to do that when i get back from dinner

thanks guys!

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would ground it to the battery.

9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

works perfect! thanks alot PS!!!!!!

shes already ready to rock .. first snow this evening!