1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount controller issues/questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mopar250, Jan 5, 2014.

1. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Hey guys!
    I've found a ton of good info and read a bunch of threads related to my question but havn't found exactly what i've needed to know. I have a Unimount plow I bought this year and installed on my 2001 Dodge 2500. Everything plow wise worked well once installed and I plowed the first snow of the year with no problems and then disconnected the plow. I never disconnected the controller. When i hooked back up last week to plow again my plow would not turn to the left. Up, down and right worked just like normal. When I hit the stick to the left I can't hear the solenoid click under the hood either. I also have no power to the plow (at the truck to plow connections) via my test light when I push the stick left, but the light lights up when pushed up or right. I have tried the diagnostic tests at the plug in the truck where the handheld plugs in however when i use my jump wire between terminal #1 and #6, #1 and #5, and #1 and #2 i can't get the plow to do anything. I'm leaning towards my hastily made jumper wire as the problem there though. I have myself convinced that the problem is my handheld controller. I took it apart just to see if i could find anything that stood out (i didn't find anything) and now that I have put it back together the plow down is only working part of the time so that leads me to believe that the handheld controller has some issues. Can anyone think of anything else i can try? I havn't found anyone yet with a controller that I can swap out and try to be for sure but I would like to get a new one coming as soon as I can.
    Thanks in advance!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Go to the dealer, I am sure they would let you try a control before purchasing.

3. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Good idea but I should have mentioned that I am quite a ways away from my nearest dealer and don't have a work schedule that allows me to get up there.

4. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Try cleaning the connector with all the pins in it. I used a Dremel tool with a small stright wire brush on it. Get them good and clean. Use a razor blade and open the pins up. They have a slit in them. Coat with dielectric grease and put it back together. If it worked before you removed it, then it seems like the connection is bad. Do you have a hand held or joy stick? I'v seen hand helds go bad, but not to often. Joy sticks next to never. Good luck.

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the board may have gone bad in it.

6. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I cleaned the connections really well but i didn't open up the pins so I will give that a shot and see what happens. It have a joystick control now but if I am going to have to get a new controller I would rather have a handheld one. I can just order a new one with the 6 pin connector and it should work correct? Any difference in the cheaper versions I see advertised and the western ones?

7. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

I think they have a white and a black plug. The uni's use the white plug. I've used both, hand held and stick. I like the stick.

8. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Someone has a stick for sale on this forum. Fisher Western Joystick - 6 pin