1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Controller issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by redneckdieselra, Feb 10, 2011.

1. redneckdieselra

redneckdieselra Junior Member

I tried searching everywhere but didn't see the problem I have. I have an Unimount with REV6 handheld controller. The controller is backlit as soon as I turn the key on like it should. I press the power button and the power light comes on like it should. As soon as I press the up or angle functions, the power light goes off but the backlight stays on. I can hear the solenoid click when I press a button. The inline fuse is good. Before when I had the problem, I would play around with the connectors for a while till it would work so I thought it was due to my old connectors. I just replaced the connectors with brand new ones, carefully crimped all connections and used heat shrink connectors so I don't think it is there. Any thoughts? The motor works fine when I jump it to the battery and the lights work like they should. Also, my old solenoid had burned up so I replaced it in the middle of the night with an old ford style solenoid and used it afterwords with no problems. I parked the truck for a day and now this problem happened.
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

replace the solenoid to a western solenoid #56131...

How does the pc board inside the hand look??
  3. RH31379

RH31379 Member

Sounds like maybe a ground issue somewhere, when you changed the solenoid to the ford style I'm assuming that it only had one small post? meaning u needed to take the other wire to ground. check that the 2nd wire off the controller to the solenoid has a good ground, and as mentioned above check the circuit board on teh controller, just had the issue with mine where the board was all corrorded cleaned it up and works fine. simplest check on that is to see if anyone you know has a controller you can plug in quick.
  4. redneckdieselra

redneckdieselra Junior Member

Thanks, I got it figured it out. The solenoid did have two small posts so I grounded the one right to the battery rather than going back through the controller and viola, it started working. Thanks for the tip.