1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Control shuts off.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TEEJAY, Feb 26, 2010.

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

I have had this problem the last two storms. The control just turns off occassionally. Sometimes I unplug it from the harness and plug it back in and it comes back on, some times not. When it is on it functions correctly. I took it apart and everything seems tight inside and the on/off switch is part of the board and it looks alright. Any thoughts?

2. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

The first place to check would be the ground wires.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

1 of 4 problems

1. loose positive wire form the ign, or battery , depending trace the red wire to its source, check for breaks or areas its pinched.

2. bad ground return from the plow. plow gets its neg - ground charge from the large neg cable that is attached to the motor on the plow. this could be loose? or loose on the plow side? then after it goes to the plow, and small black and orange wire runs from it, to the valves, and then back into the 9 pin plug. this is the ground return, this is how yoru truck knows that the plow is hooked up and the controller comes on and lights switch to the plow lights. So, if your plow lights still work correctly, odds are this circit is ok. but it should be checked in the cab at the controller plug. it could have rubbed against the fire wall and got a break in it.

3. bad connection at the controller plug. i know mine can be a pain to plug in sometimes

4. bad contoller

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

Talked to my local dealer and he seems to think it might be in the large (outside) plug. It didn't happen today at all, so when It happens again I'll wiggle connections in different places.

Thanks for the suggestions