1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount - Chevy Light Harness??'s

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wheeler4x4, Jan 7, 2007.

1. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

Hi everybody. I have been enjoying this site for a while now. I see a lot of good info here. You guys all are a big help.
    I have a ?
    Today I installed the wire harness (used) for unimount on 96 chev k2500.
    I just cant seem to wrap my head around the lighting harness.
    Do I just unplug my truck harness and plug in the uni harness to the truck harness? Then Uni-into truck lights?
    Also will the truck lights work if the controller is powered and plow is not on truck?
    Untill now I have been using trusty old reliable cable controlled Pro-Plow (3x).
    Sorry if long winded, and thanks in advance for any assistance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

wheeler, you are correct as to how to plug the harness into the truck but depending on which type of headlight's your truck has you may also need a set of adapter plug's for the plow harness to fit your light's. As to the truck light's working with the controller turned on, yes the truck light's will work anytime the plow is not plugged into the truck.Doesn't matter of the controller is on or not.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  3. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

thanks for the help b&b. i'll give it a try & let you know how it works out

4. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

Uni-Mount Lights on Chevy

Ok, I hooked up the light harness to my truck but when all the wires are on the posts of the relays the truck lights don't work. When I unhook a brown & a black jumper wire, they work. Do I have bad relay(s)?
    Thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have no high or low beam's on the truck at all? Did you have the plow plugged into the truck when you discovered that the truck light's don't work?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  6. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

B&B, when the plow is off the truck the truck lights didn't work. So I unplugged the jumper wires, then the truck lights came back, I can feel/hear the relays energize (click).
    Thanks for your assistance

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, try disconnecting the brown wire ONLY from each relay.Do the light's work now? Also do you have the 9 or 12 pin harness? If you don't know, look at the grill connector very closely and count the pin's.NOTE: their may be 12 hole's but 3 might be blank so look very closely,only the one's that actually have a pin in them count.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  8. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

B&B:Still no luck w/Unimount lights.
    I did finally manage to get a wiring schematic for plow wire harness.
    I'm going to attack it tomorrow.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks again.

Oh btw, it is a 9 pin harness

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which style of headlight's does your truck have? Did you have to buy adapters in order to plug the harness in? Just so you know the truck head light's should work when the relay's are NOT energized.That's why when you disconnect the brown wire the truck light's work.The brown wire shouldn't have power in it with out the plow connected.But you shouldn't have to disconnect a black wire too.That's why I'm wondering about if you used any adapters or not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  10. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

B&B; No, the plow harness just plugged into the truck harness.
    When I got the plow harness the relays were not connected.
    I followed another harness to plug the relays in, but I'm not sure I have them on the correct poles of the relays.(can you say?In a hurry!) lol
    I didn't think about the poles being #'d.
    I just plugged them in by holding the relays in the same orientation as my other harness.
    I didn't even think to check if I was putting the wires on the correct pole #'s(^see:hurry)
    Thanks

11. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

The truck has "quad" composite lights
    (2 bulbs on each side)

No, I didn't have to buy/use adapters.

They just plugged into the existing harness.

The harness I followed is off "dual" old style lights
    (1 bulb on each side)(86 F/S Blazer)

That's probably some of what's tripping me up also.
    Thanks agai

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, their's a good chance you may have the wire's incorrectly placed on the relay's.This could definitely cause the problem your experiencing. You mention that you got a wiring diagram for the plow, do you have the diagram that include's the wire color code's and their position's on the relay's? (the relay pin's are numbered on the bottom of the relay) If not let me know and I can send you the diagram with the pin out's for the relay's.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  13. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

lights

are your headlights plastic? if you can't figure it out, you can email me at soundz@powerweb.net or call me at 920-820-0061 and I can go through the complete wiring of the relays with you....

14. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

Yes, the truck lights are plastic.

I have the wiring schematics from western w/color codes.

I hooked up the relays per the diagram but lights still don't work like they're supposed to.

So, for the time being, when the plow is on the truck I plug in all the wires to the relays.

When I take the plow off, I unplug the brown wire & black & orange wire,(truck lights come back on)

I think the relays are not working correctly (?)

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help

15. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I couldn't agree more. When I wired up my 02 the lights on the truck and plow didn't work at all. I must of hooked the relays up wrong cuz I did it again for the 5th time and it worked. It could be that the relay is junk but do you know for a fact that the harness you got for your truck will work? That will also throw a wrench into it.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you have the wiring diagram right there in front of you then we can figure this out.Are you positive each wire is connected to the proper, numbered prong on each relay? Also,if you look at the diagram you will see that the brown wire end's up at a connection into the parking light's,is that where you connected it?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007