1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount chatter angling left + angle right when pushing left button

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jimmyjam, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Have had a chatter problem when angling left off and on, but mostly on, since changing fluid two months ago. Took out poppet valve and cleaned, chatter disappeared for about an hour, then returned. Have messed with poppet a bit more, but not a lot of luck. Recently, plow started to not only chatter when angling left, but also intermittently continues to angle right when pushing the left button. Removed and checked the 3- way cartridge valve today, probed it, and it looked ok. Put it back in and still have chatter. Could it be the solenoid itself, still the poppet, or something else I can check? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to isolate the problem between electrical. There is a thing called relay chatter where the coil will not have enough strength to hold itself in when the voltage drops as a result of the motor load. So what happens is the solenoid engages but as soon as the contacts close the magnet looses strength and the it releases again at which time the voltage jumps up again and the relay closes again. This repeats causing a chatter sound.

You need to get someone to stand beside the front of the truck, on the side where the solenoid / relay is, with the hood open while you operate the plow. When the problem happens ask them to listen for where the sound is coming from. If it comes from the solenoid you need to test the voltage across the coil and verify that it is providing at least ten volts when engaged. If the voltage is OK then the solenoid is bad, replace it.

If the noise comes from the plow you could take the cover / covers off the valve boxes and try to narrow down the noise there. If it is a straight plow there will be three valves in the one box. It it's a V plow there are three boxes. If the noise is hydraulic then one of the valves will probably be responsible. When you find which valve is vibrating then you can look up its purpose and work from there. Keep in mind though that there are more valves that are not under the covers. Ball checks valves etc. But there are a few things to try. Give us the results of these few tests and we will help you from there.

3. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Thanks very much. I could be missing something or maybe I didn't explain very well. The "chatter" isn't so much a noise as it is that the plow jerks while angling, shaking the whole front end. when this happens, I do hear the typical solenoid clicking sound. Does that help or should I proceed with what you've described above? Thanks so much for your assistance.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you are hearing relay chatter and the plow movement is jerky is certainly could be the motor kicking in and out because of the relay. So yes, do the relay voltage checks first. A simple test you cold do is putting a test light on the motor across the + and minus bolts. If the light blinks when the chatter happens then you know the relay is the at issue. The question then is why the relay is doing that. It could be loose connections right at the relay, could be related wiring or maybe loose battery connections at the posts.

5. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Thank you. I will give it a check (probably won't get a chance until Saturday) and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Go back to the poppet valve..The vale might not be functioning correctly. I had the same problem last week..The valve look good until I took it out and the (side of the manifold block. You have two) spring was bent and broken..The new ones have a different design..

mygood.jpg

Install a new set and it work normal

Also check to make sure you don't have air pockets in the system.. when you change the fluid, did you purge the system. Some people make a mistake by lifting the plow after changing the fluid and swinging the plow left to right. That you don't do... After the fluid change, make sure the fluid is level first, without raising the plow, swing the plow to the left, wait 60sec, then to the right, wait 60sec. Then center the plow (lift ram still in the full down position) recheck the fluid level. Now raise the plow and swing the plow a couple of times, then lower, and raise, then lower again..

mygood.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  7. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

Thanks. I think, though, that there might be something else going on. I have had the poppet valve out several times and all of the parts, including the springs, look ok. Also, would a poppet problem cause the plow to angle right when pressing the angle left button?

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

my guess is you have a handheld control and not a joystick.

9. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Junior Member

yes, hand held controller

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

there are tiny relays inside the control board that are chattering and going bad. time for a new pc board. i am out of them now but will have some tomorrow.