1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount blade doesn't move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by galaxie428, Dec 7, 2010.

1. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Hi all,

I have been skimming through the posts to see if anyone else might have posted a similar question but didn't really see anything the same.

I have a 7'6" pro that I use mainly for home use and a few friends. It worked fine when I put it away last year but I went to get it out this past weekend and hooked it up and only the right blade function worked. I can not raise it or swing it to the left. It is stuck in the right position now. I can take the top ram and pull it up and push it down without much effort.

The motor does hum when I move the stick but other than moving the blade to the right where it is stuck now, it is not doing anything.

I went ahead and changed the fluid but does anyone have any ideas on where I might begin checking for the problem? I don't know much about blades so please explain like you are talking to a dummy (cause you are).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

OK, ON THE SIDE OF THE PUMP ALMOST TOWARDS THE BACK THERE IS PLASTIC BOX IT HAS TWO SCREWS ON IT OPEN THAT BOX LOOK INSIDE THATS WERE YOUR SOLENOIDS ARE CHECK TO SEE IF ANY WIRES POP OFF OR MAYBE THERE IS SOME COROSION OR CHECK THE PLUGS ON THE PLOW AND TRUCK SIDE THEY MAY BE COROTED TO AND THERE NOT MAKING A GOOD CONTACT OR IT COULD BE LOW ON FLUID MAKE SURE WHEN YOU CHECK THE FLUID THE LIFT ARM (PART WERE THE CHAIN IS ATTACHED AND LIFTS YOUR PLOW) IS ALL THE WAY DOWN WHEN YOU CHECK THE FLUID . LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS
    :mechanic:

3. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I will try that tonight. I had the box off last night and checked that all wires were still connected and they looked like they were. But, I didn't look that close for corrosion. Hopefully it is something that simple. Seems odd that it worked at the end of last year but didn't work this year.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like S-3 not shifted. that means the valve is not getting power or it doesn't shift.

shoot me your email.

5. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

no lead, i can't seem to find where you PM at to send you my email address.

6. no lead

go to my facebook page and leave it there.

7. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

I am not on facebook, my wife spends enough time on it for the both of us!

Am I blind or are we not able to PM on this site?

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Check the grille connections , specifically the 9 pin control connection, be sure there is not a build up of crud and left over grease in there. Clean it out with some brakleen, apply a slight amount of dielectric grease and plug it back in .

TOM

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Also check you grounds wires as well

10. no lead

11. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

I checked my wires at the solenoids and at the plow/truck connections, cleaned them all real good, applied dielectric grease and reassembled. I tried moving the plow again with no luck.

I can hear the motor when I move the stick. So does that mean one or more of the solenoids are not working? How do I test them? Or, could the controller be bad?

12. no lead

your S-3 valve is stuck more than likely. we see this all the time. the valve is the one on the bottom of the pa block. use a 3/4 wrench and remove the nut on the coil, were the wires are connected. remove the coil and then use a 7/8 deep socket to remove the valve. use a philips screwdriver, insert it into the end of the valve. it should move in about 1/8 inch and return the same.

try that and see what happens.

13. twinman326

On the safe side I would also flush and change the fluid, especially checking the screen attach to the pump to see if it clog. Use brake cleaner to clean out the inside of the pump..Also don't forget to flush your rams out as well..

14. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

I will try that tonight. Should I spray some lubricant in there if I can get the valve to move? Is there a way to test the coil to make sure it is functioning properly?

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The coils are interchangeable on all valves. If you pull the S3 cartridge and it checks out, you could try one of the coils from another valve to see if that works.

16. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Can anyone tell me what the functions of the solenoids are? I assume since there are three they are called S1, S2 & S3. What does each one do, does it move left or right or up or down? This might help me figure out where my problem is if I need to interchange them or know that when I push the joystick right, solenoid Sx should be working.

17. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

There are combinations of valves that work depending on the function. Not as simple as one valve for left, right, and up. There is a table showing which valves should be energized for which function-I'll try to find it.

18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

19. twinman326

Here is a digram

test cart.jpg

Here is the PDF mech guide for UniMount

http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

This will show you what you need to know

This is what the valves do when activated

S1=lower
    S2=right
    S2&S3=left
    S3=raise

For example, if you move the stick to the "left", S2&S3 will be activated with the motor running. If you want to "lower", only S1 will be activated without the motor running.

In the PDF, look at pages 17-27. this will explain the functions

test cart.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  20. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys. The manual will be very helpful twinman. Hopefully I can get this fixed tonight! It is too cold outside to be messing with this stuff but I got to get it fixed, we are expecting snow this weekend.