1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount bad motor?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dieselsvt, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dieselsvt

Dieselsvt Junior Member

Hello. I own a Unimount. I don't know the vintage I believe it came off an 03 model truck before mine.

I noticed the last few times I used my plow it was a bit slow to move up.I figured I just needed a filter change. I jockey'd it around the yard back in oct no prob.

Fast forward to this morning. I hook the plow up and hit the controller the relay clicks and the light turns off on the controller. The only function that won't turn the controller off is "float". I assume there is a breaker in the controller?

If I hook up the ground jumper cable alone its the same.

If I hook up a positive jumper cable alone to the positive post on the pump it will turn on the parking lights on the truck and the controller will be inop. I suspect its back feeding thru the motor ground and into the headlight relays.

I hook up both cables the motor turns but has a squeal sound to it and feels like there is an excessive draw on it as it will start to weld the positive to the stud.

I suspect the motor is shot. Do I need to look at the pump as well? Is there a chance it grounded thru the pump and damaged it?

I can turn it by hand one way but not the other.I didn't remove it as its raining right now and would rather have the unit sealed up for the night.

Any help is appreciated....

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

just start with the motor,,,might just be your only problem. double ck all your connections as well. maybe get a batt and alt ck done as well.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Don't give up on you motor yet because when you jump both pos & neg you are not opening any valves and the motor has to pump dead end and blows over the pressure relief valve, which will make a squeeling noise. What catches my interest is that your lights come on when you boost the positive alone. This suggests to me that your ground cable connection at the grill or possibly at the battery is loose. Also note that to activate the controller power has to go through your other grill plug (probably nine pin) and complete a curcuit to ground (also through the motor ground) in order to work. This is how the controller knows the plow is there. When you hit a function power tries to flow through your bad grond but can't because it's a "bottle neck". All these things you mention point to a bad ground. Try taking your booster cables and jump from the battery negative post right to the plow motor negative terminal and then see how the plow works. I suspect you will see a world of difference.
  4. Dieselsvt

Dieselsvt Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! Fixed it!

I had put the booster cable from battery ground stud to motor ground stud before and nothing had happened which still kinda baffles me but oh well.

I did some more poking around tonight. The thing was that last time I used it 3 mos ago and it worked fine. I double checked everything again and come to find out the ground was tight on the battery post but must not have been making a good connection I took it off and cleaned it up hooked it up and BAM it works!!

Thanks again!
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cool. Good deal,,,way to call that nick.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hey guys that's great, I wish all problems were resolved with only three or four posts!!