1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount? ATF fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PTTP08, Dec 10, 2009.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I purchased my first unimount this year from a buddy for cheap his PM was not the best!
    he said he has all ways put in ATF in the pump. Does this shorten the life of the pump? or cause any problems? there is faded sticker I think it says ATF on it? give me your thoughts and thank again!

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

There's mixed thoughts on this. Many dealers will tell you Western fluid only, and infact I am a believer as well. I always spend the extra $ for peace of mind, and on plows I sell its a good selling point. Many dealers will only use it, especially on new plows for warranty sake. If there's a fluid related issue, Western does have the opportunity to not stand behind it if their recommended fluid was not used.

There's arguments as to whether one will be good to a certain temp without freezing or gelling vs the other, and that's the main issue. Older Western units always said change with ATF. There's nothing wrong with doing so. Just make sure to flush it well, crack the hoses and get it out of the cyl's as well. It's always a good idea to put a capfull of "Heet" or other type of fuel antifreeze in with it. Just a tiny bit does the trick ;)

3. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

mmmm the HEAT thing is good idea!! I used to drive truck in Alaska we used that stuff in the air lines heat is like gold up there berrrr

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I agree with that fully. Just have to add that when flushing, make sure you clean that filter.

I have an older Western Uni-Mount and only use ATF and have not had any problems yet. I also put a cap and a half of isoprophenol - however it is spelled (in a red bottle). The regular heet in the yellow bottle does not work the greatest. I had the plow going very early this morning and temps were well below 0 and not a problem. Another plus to using ATF is I always carry spare fluid for the truck anyways, using something the truck uses saves space by only needing one bottle to haul around just in case.

Matt

5. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

is there a ATF fluid you would recommend?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  6. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Not sure if there is a certain type of ATF that is better than others. I just use what my truck also uses.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ATF WILL

be as much as 11 times thicker the premium plow fluid

separate paraffin and clog your pick up/return filter.

require more amperage to lift and angle.

put higher load on the plow motor and pump

slow the reaction time of the plow compared to premium plow fluid.

but you can use it.

8. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Good to a point

tymusic
    THIS HOLE ISSUE OF ATF COMES DOWN TO IT IS FINE UP TO A TEMP. POINT. AFTER -10 IT THICKENS BECOMING LESS EFFECTIVE. SIMPLY THE OIL FREEZES, TRY PUTTING SOME IN YOUR FREEZER OVER NIGHT AND POUR IT THE NEXT MORNING. YOU WILL SEE AND WILL SAY WELL THAT CANT BE GOOD FOR MY HYDRAULIC SYSTEM. IT IS NOT A HYDRAULIC SPECIFIC FLUID AND CONTAINS PARAFFIN WAXES ETC.THAT THICKEN THE OIL BY FREEZING. I THINK MOST WESTERN MANUALS WILL SAY IT CAN BE USED TO A SPECIFIC TEMP. AFTER THAT IT IS NOT RECOMENDED. THICKEND FLUID WILL EVENTUALLY RUIN YOUR SYSTEM BY NOT PROVIDING THE REQUIRERD LUBRICATION. IN AREAS JUST AROUND THE FREEZING POINT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES.

9. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

You guys are all good in what your saying. It will provide lots to typeing practice for years to come, its a hot topic. I readily plow here where i am in -30 to -40 and atf simply wont work. No body here uses it because it simply will not flow. Your plow will tell you, listen it talks.

10. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Dont over do it

yeah weve all done it just dont over do it. In all my years over hauling western plows in fleet operations i have seen too many times people adding stuff to their oil and add too much. Whats next, their cartdride spool seals, packing seals and even wearing out parts from lack of lubrication. Doable but know what and how much your putting in your system. Better yet use the application specific fluid and dont add anything. Western called for atf up to -10 on their older systems but believe me had lots of warranty work to. The fluid is no longer recomended thats no secret. A cheaper alternate would be simply the lightest viscosity hydraulic fluid you can purchase from most suppliers. Not as prone to freezing/ gelling.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The S.A.M. brand fluid is also pretty good stuff. It's good to -30 or -50 I forget.

12. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

alternate hyd. fluid

tymusic
    YEAH THERE IS ALWAYS OPTIONAL FLUID TO WHAT A DEALER WANTS TO SELL YOU AT A 100%MARKUP. A LOW VISCOSITY HYD. FLUID IS ALWAYS AVALIBLE. MOST TIMES AS CHEAP OR CHEAPER THAN ATF.

13. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Yeah and its for a automatic transmission in a car

14. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID the name says it all

tymusictymusic
    YEAH ALL OF THEM FOR YOUR CAR OR TRUCK transmission

15. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

I buy Napa's least expensive ATF and pour in some Sea Foam Transmission conditioner. The conditioner ensures that the ATF will be good below its operating temp of -10 deg. or so. I haven't had an issue yet....................... then again I am used to slow operating Unimount plows.

16. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Seafoam....now that the #*%&. Have never used anything but ATF and a splash of Seafoam, Never had an issue...ever.

17. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Why even waste your time with ATF? Spend $5 more bucks and buy the western fluid and do it right then you don't have to worry about it.

18. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

ok I with out further a dew I will do that change to western fluid but I do have one? I know how to drain and refill but is there a flushing agent I should use ? Since I am change fluid and I want to get all the residual ATF fluid out of system.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer Hyda-Flush

20. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Myers flush really works??

Just pour it into the pump housing and do as if you were putting new fluid (swing the plow left to right, then up and down)or changing the fluid??

Then remove the fluid (flush the system), and start with new fluid?