1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount angle ram issue (leak)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by news913, Jan 22, 2014.

1. news913

news913 Member

Hey guys was wondering if anyone had some decent insight. We just had a big storm dump 12+ in my area and we were out running hard. I have a western pro 7.5 foot blade and it's been more then great..I ran into an issue last night tho, plow was getting slow and I looked down and saw I had a leak. It seems like it's coming from one of the angle rams. Down where the piston retracts to at the end which holds the seal packing in. I tightened the big nut at the end just a hair to see if anything changed and it was still leakin slowly but surely. Long story short, wondering if there is a kit to replace everything or should I just buy a new ram or two...might as well do the other at that point. They are original and the plow is at least 10 years old. Thanks again guys!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If rams are in good shape, no pitting, I would just do a packing kit. If they are pitted I would replace the ram.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

4. Kouski

Kouski Junior Member

Buy a new ram, repack the seals in the old one if the ram is not pitted or corroded, and keep it as a spare for the next time this happens to you. Take the opportunity to replace the hydraulic hose too. And, since you have hydraulic fluid on your hands already, clean the pump suction filter and put low temp hydraulic fluid in. These are just my little lessons learned. All that will cost you about $150 and take about three hours of labor and drive time getting parts. That's far less than what you'll lose if this happens at 4am after the next foot of snow. Oh, and don't use teflon tape. You'll be picking it out of the suction strainer.

5. news913

news913 Member

It's an Isarmatic model. I'll have to get the parts specific to that model on the diagram.

6. news913

news913 Member

I think this is what I'm going to do bc it's supposed to snow a bit this weekend. Thanks again!