1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UniMount Angle Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tec_41, Nov 19, 2010.

1. tec_41

tec_41 Junior Member

Hey guys, I've been having a slight problem with my Unimount...94 Model if that matters. Last year it started doing this on a very cold day. I put the plow on, raised it up, and when I tried to angle it I could hear the motor run but the blade wouldn't budge. Up and down worked fine, no left and right. After a minute or two of wiggling it back and forth, it eventually would work fine.

Today I went to change the fluid before it gets too cold (about 40F today) and when I hooked it up it did the same thing. Up/down fine, no left or right until it "broke" free. So any ideas what this could be? I've been doing a lot of research and am just a little too new at this to start blind troubleshooting...Thanks for any advice!
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just asking a question real quick. Do you store the plow outside uncovered, or is it covered or inside? The reason I ask, is when I first started plowing I kept my plow outside year round uncovered. I had the same problem all the time till I figured out I was getting a rust ring on my angle cylinders the was causing them to stick. As long as it's not pitted to badly, you may be able to take some steel wool, and re-polish the rams if this is your problem. I was able to save one of mine, but not the other. Since then I have always put my plows in the garage during the off season, with a nice coat of Fluid FIlm on them till the next fall.
  3. tec_41

tec_41 Junior Member

It's stored in a garage, uncovered but it doesn't see a lot of moisture. I didn't notice any rust rings around the rams, but I might have to check again to be sure.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sticking S2 valve or no power to it intermittently either from a poor connection or faulty controller. Second possibility is a stuck (rusty) poppet check valve. You can pull it and check it's condition first, if it looks fine then go after the S2 not being shifted. Need to check it's coil for power or magnetism when it won't angle. Be a little tough to catch since you'll need a helper ready to run either test when it acts up but it's the only real viable option without just throwing parts at it.