1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount always goes right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by redtailboa, Feb 9, 2013.

1. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

Hello Everyone
    I am having problems with the plow always going right no mateer what button i push on the controller. It's an isometric pump and hand held controller. So far i have checked all the solenoids and thy are working properly on a bench test .The solenoid buy the battery is operating good .I have checked the 9 pin connection and it's good ,there is power to the solenoids when i give the proper command to that solenoid .I have good ground to the solenoids .I have checked the controller and it's good ,even put joystick contoller on . i cked both poppet valves and there is no seal that's bad . i have pretty much done every test there is to do from this site and western's mechanic diagram . Nothing seems to work to fix it ,the plow will always angle right no matter what button you push , except down . Any ideas of what else to check ? Thanks

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

By solenoids are you talking about the cartridges? My friend had a simialr problem and one if the cartidges it wasn't opening all the way.

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

What type of plow? Unimount? Ultramount? Switching controllers didn't help?

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Did you pull the valves out of the valve body? Solenoids will work but if you have a stuck valve then it wont function properly especially if it has been sitting.

5. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

The plow is a Unimount .Yes i'm refering to the cartridges .I took all 3 out and bench tested them .thy all have 6.6 ohms ,magnetism ,and open and close properly . Yesterday i changed the whole pump motor assembly with a spare 1 that came with the plow and same result ,still angles right with any command . I did change controller's with same result . The hand held controller works ,i put a test light on the green blue and white/yellow wires that are on the coils and when given the proper command the test light goes on . It seems to be that there is a ground problem ,but all grounds are making good contact. I even cleaned the motor pump assembly up in the parts washer when i had off the truck .i have read on here that the plows default will angle right .When it does go right a have to lossen the relief valve to manually turn the plow straight again . The truck and plow are in the garage so the cold is not an issue . I'm stumped

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You should check your ground at the grill connector. Both sides with a test light.

7. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

I have checked both the 9 pin and the 2 pin connectors for good ground and it's good . I disconected the 2 pin connector and checked to make sure again that power is getting to the 3 solenoids and i can hear them open and close and thy have magnetism when operatimg the controller .This seems strange but with the 9 pin connector dissconnected and the 2 pin hooked up i can push the buttons on the controller and the plow will angle right no matter what button i push . Could something inside the hydraulic valve box be messed up ? The box is the only thing that i didn't take apart when i cleaned it all up .

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

if its only going right then you not getting pwr at the coils, or one is not working,or a valve is sticking.
    sorry to say but you cannot "hear" the solenoinds nor the valves opening while they are inside the plow.
    you said you have gnd,,,,,,but did you ck for your switched pwr while using that function??? test light only dont use a meter

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Most likely in the valve body. Do you know someone with the same pump? 2 hoses and 3 bolts and try swapping it.

10. Whitey

Whitey Member

Sounds like your S2 cartridge valve is stuck. Remove it clean it good and use a scratch awl or something to try to get it to move.

11. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

I have a spare pump/motor assembly and have tried that with no sucess. I went by a western dealer today and he couldn't figure it out either , he only looked at it briefly 1/2 hour . He said to take hoses off of the rams and move it back and forth to make sure there is no blockage . Did that still the same . I'm going to take motor pump apart tomorrow and give it a good cleaning .I'm thinking that it must be something in the valve body . If that doesn't work i will drop it off at the dealer and he can mess around with it . All the cartridges are working and all have power and magnetism to them with 6.6 ohm .Putting the spare pump on and still the same result is baffling .I have went over the wiring several times and checks out good

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok well if your other plow has the issue,,,then its gotta be tkside.
    Did you test light it while moving the joystick??
    A meter will lie,,,you gotta test light it while moving the joystick

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You tried a different motor and hydraulic pump but with the same valve body correct?

14. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

I changed the complete unit with the spare one . I only had to change the 3 way cartridge when changing them over . I was going to get another 3 way cartridge yesterday but dealer had to order them and we just wanted to make sure that it was actually gone .That's why he took a quick look at it ,and he said thy were fine .He checked the 9 pin grille connector as he said thy are usually known for going bad ,it's good .He basically checked that there was power to the valves and that thy were operational ,and thy are good .We didn't have time to get into it any further but he said to disconnect rams and move back and forth to check for blockage ,and there is fluid coming out both sides

15. Head1

Head1 Junior Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  16. Whitey

Whitey Member

If I understand you correctly you are using the same 3 way cartridge in both units? It sounds like the 3 way cartridge is bad or stuck if you take that back out try pushing in on the end of it with the scratch awl. it should move with minimal pressure if not then it is stuck open making it think you are turning right. Often the get some junk in them and stick a good cleaning will usually fix it. Good luck.

17. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

I had a buddy come over today and we changed the valve body and took the s3 cartridge out . It does move but i think it's not opening all the way .From the hydraulic schematic everything flows through the 3 way first so i have it in the parts washer overnite and i'll try it again tomorrow if it doesn't work i will order another one from the dealer . Hopefully it's the problem

18. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You can check the movement of it by using a small awl or screwdriver. Also ck the orings on it. Maybe you have a weak coil on it?

19. redtailboa

redtailboa Junior Member
    from ontario

Fixed up working beautiful. The S3 cartridge was not opening fully .Thanks everyone for your help .Good thing about all this , i know alot more about western plows

20. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Glad to hear! Know you can fix all your buddies stuff!