1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount acting funny

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by randomb0b123, Sep 15, 2012.

1. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

barely worked first time i put it on truck, very very slow and wouldnt angle, set a frame on jack, disconnected hoses and worked the blade left and right to flush them then i drained the pump, took motor off, took pump out and cleaned out the filter, reassenbled and put new fluid in, works now up down left right but seems just a little slow and occasionaly after sitting it takes a few trys to get it to angle (i only tryed it the day i changed fluid its been off truck since), is this just air working its way out from changing the fluid? also when i raise it all the way and it gets to the stop it makes a kind of high pitch squeal (i dont sit there and hold it just does it the second it stops) is this pump on its last leg? i wanted some advice before i go spend 160 on a new one

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What do the pump pressures read? What kind of fluid did you use?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking a psi test is in order,,but if I was Gunna bet,,id say ur pump is weak...

4. randomb0b123

from america

i have not pressure tested it how do i do that what type of guages would i need? i used the western brand fluid

5. dieselss

Theres a port for the lift,,,the Allen screw on the left side of the lift cylinder

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

when you first angle it after changing the fluid it would be hesitant and jerky when you first angle it. that should smooth out after the air gets out of the cylinders (should just have to angle fully right and left 3 or 4 times). then you would have to top off the fluid again in the reservoir. that's why it's not going all the way up.
    but yes, to figure out if the pump is bad you'd have to pressure check it. should get about 1750 psi.

7. randomb0b123

from america

what kind of guage do you use for that

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A hydraulic pressure gage.

9. randomb0b123

from america

ok where would i obtain that? what size and type of threads do i need

10. randomb0b123

from america

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

12. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

well if it's any help I have the exact plow and it was my pump .I have a Unimount 7.6 poly good luck

13. randomb0b123

from america

the guage came and i threaded it into the test port ( terrifying the old plug barely came out it was really tight i destroyed it removing it) the guage reads between 1300 and 1400. also i hadnt noticed this til now but the lift cylinder is pitted and starting to leak out the packing. great. how do i change this ?

14. dieselss

Gotta take ram off 1 1/6 and 1 1/8 take off big nut. Pull out ram ass. Install new packing on New ram, after you soak it in fluid. Take out the wiper seal in the nut, clean out inside of nut. Install new wiper seal in nut, lubricated of course. Put ram in housing, might have to tap seals into housing, put nut on. Tighten tight, then loosen approx 1/4. Then "snug" nut up. Your psi sounds a little low tho. I thought it was supposta be round 1700. But ck westerns website for the exact spec

15. randomb0b123

from america

its supposed to be 1750 psi. does this mean i have to replace the pump?

16. dieselss

I would say so,,,maybe not going out but maybe on its way out. Or you have plugged filter. But prob pump

17. randomb0b123

from america

i just cleaned the filter out =[

18. dieselss

Ok then you already know how to get to the pump.....:). Sorry for the bad news

19. randomb0b123

from america

ya i know it is an easy task. now in your next post can you include 180 dollars?payup:waving::):dizzy:

20. dieselss

Sure,,,,180.00. Will that help?