1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount A frame and Quadrant

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

just a question.

My unimount quadrant and A frame are a bit worn out at the connection between the two. What say ye ?

* End of season, replace both parts with new ? $900 in parts

* Weld up the holes, make repairs ?

* Buy a new plow ?

Love to buy a new plow, but this one works so hootin tootin well, and the blade itself is a year old. .. I guess it depends on how much more plowing I do this year to say I can afford a new unit.

What's ya think?

Fix it ?

Sell it ?

Remember, I gots a welder sitting there not being used. I would just have too figure out what kind of bushing to place in there, and hopefully find a greasable bolt that I can exchange the OEM bolt for.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Those uni a-frame to quadrant bolt holes are notorious for tearing right open leaving the blade hanging by the rams! But after repairing a few I learned that beefing them up and removing the slop is a mistake which causes the bolts to shear right off! Since uni-mounts have no swivel bar like the ultras the slop in that bolt is what allows the plow to follow the contours of the road. If you have welding equipment it's not hard to repair them and then ream them out to fit a new bolt. Putting a sleeve in with a grease zerk is not so good because you loose that float thing. You will understand what I mean when you pull the blade off and have a look at the two layers of metal that form the link on the end of the a-frame to the quadrant.

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I understand exactly what you mean about the "slop". What is your process for repairing them? Fill in the hole with new metal, ream the hole larger,and bulk them up...

How about hardened washers to thicken up the upper and lower parts where the bolts go through, using a larger than the bolt washer to allow the slop that's needed there?

Really would love to do what is right, vs spend a grand on new parts.

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

BTW..... I'm, simply in amazement at your wealth of knowledge with these plow systems..
    Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

5. mishnick

It's what I do all winter, it's very rewarding to be able to help so much with so little effort and, of course, all these questions and challenges give me incentive to read and study the manuals which makes me better at my job. I appreciate the real life questions.Thumbs Up

What I do is cut the old metal right off 3 or 4 inches back from the hole and then rew-weld two new pieces back on. Building up the holes with weld is just too hard to ream out. I usually cut the new metal out of a piece of truck frame (we build truck bodies at my shop so we are always trimming frames) because the thickness is right and the metal is a bit stronger than mild steal.

The two critical things are to get the gap between the two layers right and the correct location of the hole.

I start by making a cardboard template of the pieces I cut off so I can reproduce the shape, size and approximate hole location. Next I cut off the damaged metal about three or four inches back from the hole. Then I weld on the lower plate using another piece of metal clamped across the bottom to ensure the new plate welds on perfectly straight. I always grind bevels and lands on the two pieces. (45 degrees on the top edges of both edges of the weld with a 1/8" land and a 1/8" gap. Weld the root with mig and then fill with flux core or 7018 stick if you have it, or just fill it completely with mig if not.

Next you clamp the top piece of metal to the bottom with a shim that holds the top plate with the perfect space required, then weld the top piece in place with the same process. Grind off any crown that will interfere with the action.

I usually drill my holes to 1/8", smaller than required, before welding and then line ream them the last 1/8" after lining up the a-frame and quadrant once the plates are in place.

To get the hole in the right spot you can place the quadrant on the a-frame and stick a pin through the center hole about half way back from the pivot hole where the half circle tube rides on the top of the a-frame. You could also make a little template with a bit of flat bar drilling two holes to sub in for the quadrant. Pin it in there with either the quadrant or template in place and then spot weld the bottom plate so that the hole lines up as close as possible. Remove the quadrant and then clamp and weld the bottom plate fully. That gives you the bottom hole as a frame of reference to guide the rest of the installation. Of course, once all is welded in place, you will line everything up perfectly by line reaming. I use a tapered reamer on my 1/2" pneumatic drill to do the reaming.

It is also important to consider how much metal you leave around the pivot hole on the top and bottom plates. Be sure to remove enough metal to avoid hitting the quadrant but leave the maximum possible for best strength.

After everything is welded paint it up and re-assemble it. Be sure it is a bit sloppy (to allow a bit of float) and I like to use a grade 5 bolt because grade 8 seem to shear off because they are a bit more brittle.

I hope that helps, I did do a post on this a long time ago with photos but can't remember what it was called so can't link to it....

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Dog is a master welder. Thumbs Up

Dog, get some steel, get Buff on speaker phone and have at it. Or drag it up here and lets see what we can do with it after a case of Lager. :drinkup:

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Master welder ???

Nah ! Master bater.... ....maybe ....:laughing:

Whats your zip ? I might rake you up on that:drinkup:

8. kimber750

:drinkup:

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

2 hr 45 minutes.... Cant drink too much...:nono:

Otherwise ill be :sleeping:

10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

sleep over??? LOL I bet your about 5 hours away from me so hes closer.

Ask bird he can help you fix it Thumbs Up

11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Can someone please find his old thread with photos. Everyone would appreciate it
    Thanks in advance

12. mishnick

I tried to find that thread but had no luck. I don't think I initiated it, just posted a reply with photos. Not sure how to go about finding it in the almost 2000 posts I have one here....

13. kimber750

http://www.plowsite.com/search.php?searchid=4152944&pp=25&page=1

Some where in that mess.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't come up kimber.
    I.found a few pics of the ones I did before if your interested

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Interested....do you need a formal invitation ???

:)

16. dieselss

Why yes I do. Proper etiquette ole boy.

17. dieselss

the after ones

phone pics 289.jpg

phone pics 290.jpg

phone pics 291.jpg

phone pics 292.jpg

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Who you calling boy ? Are you back to your racial profiling again ??? Just because I'm an illegal alien doesn't mean you cal call me boy... Keep it up, and I'm gonna start calling you snookie....

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Hmmmm... Very interesting. My bolt is upside down from your photo, and no hotter pin. I wonder where this plow had been before I found it as a stray...

Thank you man with multiple diesels

20. dieselss

There's more. Trying to.load