1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount 2 vs 3 plug

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by greymare89, Oct 15, 2011.

1. greymare89

greymare89 Member

I feel like I'm going around in circles but here we go anyway.... I had the oppurtunity to buy a 7'6" unimount pro plow with a 2 plugs on the plowside, one plug had 11 pins in it. long story short that deal fell through. Now a family member has offered to sell the same plow I just mentioned the only difference being the one plug has the 9 pin configuration. I've looked around locally, online etc and the cheapest place seems to be plow parts direct in New Jersey. They offer complete truckside packages so I don't have to chase misc. parts down. When I plug my truck into their option list (2003 Chevy 2500 HD) they have options for a 2 plugs plowside system and a 3 plug plowside system. The 3 plug is about $600 more offering new headlights and headlight harness etc. which the 2 plug package doesn't offer. My question is can I purchase the 2 plug system package to plug into the 2 plugs on the plow being offered (again one plug has 9 pins) or do I need the more expensive 3 plug system package for my truck. My truck is offered as an option for both plug systems on plow part direct's drop down menu which has created my confusion. (if the 2 plug system wouldn't work for my truck, why would it even be an option.....????)

The answer I'm guessing is that the two plug system will work for my truck only if one of the two plugs has 11 pins.

From what I've gathered the old 9 pin system is relay which does not match up to the isolation module wiring I would need to install in my truck. I hope this post makes some sense because I am going crazy trying to understand everything there is to know about Western systems.. lol Any help is obviously greatly appreciated.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Ok lets see if I can clear things up a bit so at least you will understand what you are dealing with.... The uni two and three plug plows are basically the same thing mechanically, the only difference is in the fact that the three plug has a separate plug for the three control valve wires whereas the two plug combines the lights and the controls into one plug. The two plug system has been discontinued for some time. Be aware that the new plows also have two and three plugs systems but they are much different. The new two plug are what they call multiplexed. On these they still have a dedicated plug for the lights but the control wires have been eliminated and replaced with a pair of wires that are integrated into the big power plug. This system encodes all the functions kinda like a radio, then sends the signals down a single wire and finally decodes them at the other end in the plow housing. This has nothing in common with the old two plug so don't let that confuse you when you read about it.

Personally I would recommend the three plug setup primarily for the ease of troubleshooting down the road. The old lights are lights are pathetically poor and the new nighthawks are sooo much better. Well worth the extra cash. Something else you need to ask about is if they are selling you a relay system or the new isolation module. The relays work but they can be a nightmare to fix when they fail. The isolation module is much easier to install and far simpler to fix when it fails. At my shop when people bring in old unis and want to move them over to a newer vehicle we try to persuade them to upgrade from relays to the isolation module. Once they have the iso mod they can upgrade to a new ultramount straight blade by changing the mount. I guess my point with the relays is that you will be paying for brand new antique technology. If you are going to go new then why not get the latest an most reliable technology. Hope that helps....
  3. greymare89

greymare89 Member

Thanks again for replying.. Both truckside packages offered by plow parts direct (both the 2 and 3 plug packages) are offered with the isolation module included. I guess I was trying to ask if the 2 plug system on the plow right now, again one plug with the 9 pin inside, will just plug and go into the 2 plug package offered through plow parts direct, assuming that their 2 plug system is 11 plug. Do the new wiring harnesses offered still have 9 pin plugs to your knowledge or are they all the 11 pin now?

Another option I am considering is a 7'6" ultramount pro plow being sold on craigslist in my area for $1500 that was said to come off a 2011 dodge. The truck has since been sold and there is no way to test the plow before buying it. I don't recall after looking at the plow if there was 2 or 3 plugs on it but I do remember it having the older syle rectangle headlights as opposed to the new nighthawks with the rounded corners. The uni mount offered by my family member is $800, after looking to purchase the truckside parts it comes down to three options:

(1) 2 plug unimount package- around $1200-1300 with ultra mount to uni conversion adapter and all necessary wiring harnesses

(2) 3 plug unimount package- around $1900 and change with the conversion adapter, new headlights and all necessary wiring harnesses

(3) the ultra mount truck side package for around $1200-1300 with mount, necessary wiring and ultra mount recievers.

The only way the unimount would be worth it is if the new 2 plug package foe 1200 will plug directly into the 2 plugs on the plow. I know the easy answer is to go with the ultra.. i'm just concerned with buying the plow without testing it
  4. mishnick

The ultramount will have three plugs, I don't think they ever made an ultra straight blade with two plugs. Do you know anyone who has a truck rigged up for an ultra straight blade that you could persuade to hook up and test the plow? That would be the way to go. If I lived closer I would do it for you, I have my truck rigged to run any ultra just for testing purposes.

In any case I would certainly lean toward that ultra. That adapter thing is a piece of sh**! They are so low to the ground and extend the plow forward about 8" so it's harder on your front suspension. I have sold a few of them and people don't like them. Usually people get them as a solution to get one more year out of an old uni plow when they can't afford a new ultra.

I am concerned about this two plug package being offered with iso module. The only two plug system available with iso module is the multiplex and it will NOT work with the old two plug straight blades. You can tell if it's multiplex by looking at the big power plug end. If it has two big pins and two tiny ones then it is multiplex. The one you need has only the two big pins.

Regarding the pins in the plugs. The new light plugs all have 11 pins which are more than enough. The nine pin is maxed out, 3 pins for the three valves, two for high & low beam, two for right & left signals, one for markers and one for common ground.

Even though I think the ultra is the way to go you have to consider that the mount and wires that come with it might not be right for your truck. Lots of people buy what is supposed to be a complete system but it turns out to be complete for the truck it came off of not the truck you want to put it on. The relay, battery cables and control cables are universal but the isolation module and headlamp harnesses are not necessarily correct. There are at least three types of iso modules and dozens of headlamp harness kits. Even the mounts could be a problem. Just because it came off a Dodge doesn't mean it will fit another Dodge. There are many different options that affect the mount type. The only way to know for sure is to put the specs for both the source truck and the target truck into Quick Match and see if the mounts and harnesses are the same.
  5. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I have an UltraMount Standard with the relay system that is a 2 plug (9-pin and power).
  6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yes, the first year or so of the ultra still used the relay 2 plug system
  7. mishnick

I stand corrected on the ultra two plug. Good to know that there are some out there. Interesting though because the ultramount interactive parts posters don't even show the two plug harness system, are parts available for these? Jim, When you say "2 plug relay" do you mean relay light controls or relay motor control and isolation module. The reason I ask is because greymare says he found a truck side electrical kit for sale that is two plug with iso module.
  8. greymare89

greymare89 Member

To make things interesting I just found out the ultramount I'm also looking at has the two plug system, the guys still has to check and get back to me on how many pins are in the plug. Now I'm second guessing both the unimount and ultramount plow I've been looking at and wondering if they are even worth buying. The gentleman with the ultramount explained the plow belonged to a 2001 Dodge before the truck was sold. The way my luck goes I'm sure the 2001 Dodge and my 2003 Chevy are to total different setups and the 2 plug won't even work for my truck.

Also as far as the packages I was talking about in the prior posts I was referring to the packages, Which are said to include the correct mount for my year truck, are offered brand new through plowpartsdirect.com Since they are brand new there shouldn't be any question as to whether the mount and harness should match up to my truck. I would hope at least.. haha.
  9. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Mine is relay light controls without an isolation module.
  10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Mishnick My dads unltramount is a two plug relay system exact wiring as a unimount setup.

Greymare89 if you buy the ultramount off of the dodge with the 2 plug setup on the plow you would need a 2 plug setup for a chevy and it would work with the plow.
  11. greymare89

greymare89 Member

I researched past threads relating to this topic on this site as well as looked at western's schematic for the harness my truck requires (29048) and isolation module (29070-1) and found that since my truck requires the 3 port isolation module after plugging it into western's quickmatch. I guess with my HB3/4 headlights the 2 plug system won't work since its a relay system vs the 3 plug isolation system; unless there is a way to plug the 2 plugs on the plowside into the wiring harness that comes in the package with the isolation module. I could be totally wrong on this so please correct me if need be.

I plan on calling plowpartsdirect.com directly tomorrow, I just wanted to have somewhat of an idea of what I was talking about so I can answer questions if need be
  12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

There is proper wiring both relay and isolation module wiring for your truck. Three port and four port! Western only sells the three port now so they will tell you thats what you need. The relay wiring for your truck would require 12 pins to operate everything properly. The 9 pin would need to be changed on the plow side to a twelve pin. That would be for the unimount or ultramount. There are alot of ultramounts that are two plug or relay style. Some are 12 pin but not very common.
  13. mishnick

Sounds to me like there are lots of two plug relay systems on both the uni and the ultras but there has never been a two wire iso module system. As far as three and four port Iso modules go the parts are available for both, the only issue is that dealers don't generally stock the four port stuff any more. The only real difference between three and four port modules is that the headlights for the four port have one cable and one plug for each headlamp where as the three port has a single port for both headlights. The three port headlight harness is built like a Y with one short leg for the nearest headlight and one long leg for the other headlamp.

I would recommend that you rig up your truck with the three port isolation module setup and get the two cables to convert the plow. All you need to convert the plow is the headlight harness and the control harness, they are easy to change and not terribly expensive.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  14. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sorry about my earlier post I thought they made a relay wiring harness for your year truck. If you have to switch to a iso module you will have to upgrade the plow to have 3 plugs. Everything with as iso module has 3 plugs except the really new plows but they are mulitplex or something like that. Sorry if I confuse you.