1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount 2 plug to 3 plug ISO system. HELP

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by desmato, Feb 14, 2010.

1. desmato

desmato Junior Member

Here's the deal, I recently converted the truck to the ISO 3 plug setup and a new Ultra plow. I want to keep the old Unimount as a spare but am having problems with the 2 plug -> 3 plug "conversion" kit that western sells. my problem is that the light harness in the kit (28053) is for a Ultramount setup and is ~8" too short to fit the Unimount. Dan @ Western says the solution is to BUY the shorter light brackets and move the lights lower and closer together or "cut the harness and lengthen the wires". these solutions sounds like a piss poor use of a current harness to "fit" an older unit. I asked what harness they use on the new heavyweight since it is still a Unimount and he said "that one with the shorter light brackets"

Is there a Unimount specific 11 pin light harness I can use ?

2. Rogers574

Rogers574 Junior Member

Well I see I am not the only one that thinks the new harness is to short. Just updated to a newer truck myself and wanting to use my old faithfull Unimount so bought the update kit 28053 and it looks like crap installed. Guess I will be lengthening my brand new harness.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You must have an ultra to uni mount adapter too right? To mount the old uni. They are heavy ugly things!
    Could u possibly instal a bar straight from one headlight to the other and nytie to that so the cable takes a shorter more direct path? That might give u the 8" u need.
    If your new plow is a two plug then there must b two power cables too, one with a solenoid/relay and a second (multiplex) direct to the battery. You would also need two control cables...... A three plug ultra would have been simpler but if it's brand new it will b two plug.
    On my truck I am rigged up to use any ultra mount including the old analog MVP, 3 wire straight blade and the new 2 plug multiplex. I have 5 plugs at my grill and three optional controller cables in the cab.
    The hardest part is connecting all three control systems to one isolation module and headlight harness. Most people have to switch a connector for the plow they r using but I tied them all together so sll I need to do is switch plow and controller.

4. mishnick

That conversion kit 28053 doesn't come up in the Western site search. R u sure that's the correct part number?

5. Rogers574

Rogers574 Junior Member

Yes it is heavy and very ugly but I think that doesn't look as bad as a wire harness flying out in space. I thought about a 1/2 angle iron from light to light too. Think I will just solder in an extension using some quality shrink tube and convoluted wire covering. That way I can attach the harness where it needs to be.

6. Rogers574

Rogers574 Junior Member

Yes 28053 plow side straight blade conversion kit. Just bought one last week.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. mishnick

So is it two adapter plates (for Nighthawk headlights) and a cable for the valve coils. End result is converting the two plug plow to three plug?

8. Rogers574

Rogers574 Junior Member

One harness for lights and one for coils. Yes makes a two plug plow a three.

9. mishnick

Ok I know that kit. U have to cut original wires out of the old rectangular sealed beam lights and install the new cable. New light cable is too short to follow the frame.
    Short of spending a bunch of money there is no good solution. U can, as suggested, add length to the wires or use a bit of flat bar or light angle to make a bridge from side to side so the cable goes straight.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

If we are replacing lights or the light harness, we always figure the shorter headlight brackets for the plows that had the really tall ones. They decided that extra height wasn't necessary and discontinued those after a year or two when Unimounts first came out. It should be less than $50 for all four pieces.

11. desmato

desmato Junior Member

Wow, long time since I posted this !

I wound up selling the old Unimount that year as I never needed it BUT,........ My solution was to put a piece of angle stock between the two headlight bolts and run the new lighting cable across it just like the new Ultramount is. I then used that same bar to mount a set of off road lights between the headlights for more candlepower (just wired a nice heavy 2 wire plug to the truck through a relay and a switch)