1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimogs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PSDF350, Feb 3, 2005.

1. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

was in Westminster Vt today heading back to NH on rt5 and what do i see a new mog with snowblower on it. i know where its heading so turn around to go back and check it out. seems unimog is having some demos going on at freightlinger. so if anyone is or can get up there tomorrow might want to check it out. there are 3 mogs there one with snowblower the other 2 have v's on. just wish i had my camera with me. if at all possible i will stop by tomorrow with camera in hand.

2. sbrem

sbrem Member

I was up that way on Tuesday and saw they (L&B Freightliner) had at least on the lot. They sure are a nice rig. Lots of $$$$ though

Stephen

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yup big bucks. but i quess you can get up to 10 years financing.

4. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

I've been drooling over these things for years. we had one in the family when i grew up in Idaho. they have come a long way since then. unimog will go thru anything! Toys For Big Boys :redbounce :redbounce

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have a friend with 2 of them- buy an older one- they do everything a new one does and they can be had for alot less. I have seen Bseries Mogs from the 1980's, (even the 1970's) for less than 10K on Ebay and other places- search the net for Mog groups like Rocky Mountain Moggers.

I have always said I'll take a Mog over a Hummer anyday in any terrain-I have seen them go through some rough stuff and I have seen accessories for Mogs that Hummer's can't even dream of- like pontoons that attach to the frame and a PTO lower end outboard motor unit- when it's more than 4 feet deep (Hummer fording depth) the mog keeps going up to 6 feet and then you float it! I think you need a commercial license for them tho- they have air over hydraulic brakes in most models.

6. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Can't say I've ever heard of the pontoon / outboard options but the new
    U-500 Unimog sold by Freightliner are mostly 33,000 GVW trucks so a CDL would be needed. All are air over hydraulic (air assist) except for the very early 1950s and 1960s versions. They have a traveling demo that shows what the Unimog can do and it sounds like the VT demo is centering on snow removal.

7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Here in Alaska they're considered Farm tractors, no licensing or CDL's required.. They run them right down the road like everything else.. Well, everything else that has a 10' x 4' blade hangin off the front.. Them dudes push snow like nobody's business..

8. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

That's right for the older ones. The older 406/416 is 14,329 GVW and the U-1300L is 16,512 GVW so no CDL would be needed.

The older models also have a different suspension than the newer ones and are considered more off road capable. The new U-500 sold by Freightliner is capable off road but the chassis isn't designed to flex like the 404, 406, 416, U-1200 and U-1300L etc.

The units sitting on the lot seem to hover around $125,000. The used ones start at $3500. for a real fix-er-uper to $35,000. for a turn key unit ready to plow.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unimogger, my friend has 2 404's ( I think they're 404's, but they have air/hydraulic), a civi and a surplus military. The Civi has a Case backhoe quick detach on the rear (truck frame is designed for it) and both have quick mounts on the front and ROPS. There are lots of options for them- many mainly military in concept and application- many of the military units had plates bolted to the wheel hubs with 3 wings each having a loop as multi attachment points. They were tie down points as well as cage wheels attchments- cage wheels were light weight metal hollow wheels that tripled the with of the tires for flotation. He has a dozer blade, 6 way bucket loader and 10 or 12 foot single stage rotary snowblower for them also.

10. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Hi,

Your friend has the model 406. (or possibly U-1200s if it's a boxy cab) Case farm tractor company imported the 406 and U-1200 in the 70s and 80s and built their own rear deck / mounting system. The way to tell for sure what he has is check the serial # on the passenger side frame rail right behind the bumper. It'll start 406.120 (soft top) or 406.121 (hard top) or 424.122 for the U-1200.

Case built over 80 implements for the rear mounts alone. That doesn't include all the European manufacturers products. There's many municipal and agricultural uses for the Unimogs in addition to the military uses. The Unimog started life as a farm tractor that had road capabillities. It was the French that requested the first dedicated military version, the 404.

The surplus military one he has could have seen either US or European service. The US is still using the SEE and HMMH. The 406 I run is former German Bundeswehr.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They must be 406's- I know they aren't U series-nice rounded cabs, hard tops. And yeah it's a Case Backhoe setup- the ACOE has some of them in use still (406 models not U series) with the newer backhoe which folds flat on the back instead of just pulling up verticle and forward like a giant scorpion's tail. (it always make me think of a scorpion with the bucket loader on the front and the hoe on the rear). The ACOE used to store a couple of them at one of the local State Emergency Management Association's bunkers (MEMA in Framingham)

The Military one was US AFAIK (1967 I think) and the Civi one (1972 I think) with the backhoe.
    Cumberland, Huh, I have probabily seen one of your Mogs in the past- I get down there from time to time.