1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimog

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mountaintime, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mountaintime

Mountaintime Junior Member
    from Utah

Looking at an older unimog 406 I think. Just picked up a contract for 16 miles of road, half of which I've done in the past with an 86 1 ton chevy with Boss V plow and two trackless mt5t fitted with blowers. I need to add to the fleet and found this unimog with a blower and plow for 15k. Looks to be in good condition and I plan to take a drive and look at it this week. Concerned about getting parts and the reliability of this machine as it is probably late 70's early 80's. Also for running the pto blower the hp seems light as I am used to my trackless with the 100hp cummins. From what I can find the power on these rang from 85 hp to 120. Any input on the commercial abilities of an older 406 would be great. Also does anyone know how long it takes to switch the plow and blowers back and forth.

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I had an older Unimog, type 421. I don't know what the parts availability is now, I used to get mine from Mercedes Benz, but there are part suppliers online, there should be some info out there on where to get parts.
    Switching from the blade to the blower was no different then switch implements on an Ag tractor, pull the pins and PTO coupling, etc.it was a bit of a pain getting the pins lined up.

It should have the crawler gear option if you are doing a lot of blowing, in order to get the ground speed to match the amount of snow.

Bill

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I dont know much about them, but they look pretty cool, a multi purpose truck/tractor. Just an over all bad a$$, do anything machine. I hope it works out for you!!

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There used to be a guy that hung around here and thought he knew everything about this kind of truck. Don't know what happened to him, kind of miss his insight on numerous topics.

6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

"unimogr" runs a blower, pretty sure he loves his.
    I've always wanted one but never found one close enough at $15k.
    A search here turns up lots of unimog relevant info.
    GL

7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

8. MogMan

MogMan Senior Member
    from Qc

Expensive, not that much...difficult to find parts....no

Two great vendors stateside, 3-4 in the UK

http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/

http://www.expedition-imports.com/category/unimog_404_parts.bdiesel_parts/

They are ruff on the knees cause of all that shifting but otherwise a really stable machine