1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimog plow fleet (Ok, so it's only 2 trucks)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by unimogr, Jan 21, 2005.

1. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Just brought my U-1300L (red) back from Cape Cod to get ready for this weekends storm. The other is a 406 with backhoe (and dozer blade in summer). Frink on the U-1300L and Fisher on the 406. Both 10'.

SnowMogs1.jpg

2. sbrem

sbrem Member

Cool! I would love to have a Mog

Stephen

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i took a wrong turn to one account and stumbled upon a unimog. went and drove by it again today and boy do they look like they would be fun to drive.

4. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Knock on wood my 1300L worked real well. The Town of Cumberland had me on call to work with Fire, Police, and Rescue in case they couldn't make it to any calls. To stay awake I plowed the above stations because the town workers didn't have the time. Spent 36 hours straight before I could stop. The pic shows cleanup after the 6" storm the 1/26/05.

1300Lfrt1a.jpg

5. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

This is after the big storm Sunday.

1300Goy.jpg

6. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Chris,
    Those are awesome trucks. There is a guy right down the street from me his name is Harry he has alot of them (some old and some new) everytime I see the guy he says when are you getting a real truck? Love the Mogs

Jason

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice Mogs. Having 2 is better than having none at all. I bet they will push quite a bit of snow as well.

8. somm

somm Senior Member

I Drool over Mogs, especially the old ones with seven someodd gear shifts.
    How many in yours? How many PTO's ?

Sweeeeet
    :bluebounc

9. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Unimog history, more than you wanted to know.

I switched to plowing with a Mog 6 years ago because the 406 model has a 93" wheelbase and out turns a CJ-7 while pushing a 10' blade. I'm real impressed with how well it pushes.

There are two guys in New York and one former dealer that have Mogs as well. Bob Tall in Montrose, Rt9 (can't miss him) and across the river there's Unimog Joe who is also a Schmidt (plow / blower) dealer. Ralph Herman is a municipal equipment dealer (I believe).

Shifters and PTOs?
    The 1940 to 1950s series, 2010, 401, 402, 411, all had diesels 25 to 38hp and 6 forward 2 reverse speeds. Some were outfitted with front and or rear PTOs and hydraulics. Some as AG tractors and others for towing.

In 1954 the French army was looking for a troop truck and the gas engined 404 was born. It uses the same engine as the 220 sedan and has a 6 forward 2 reverse trans. Some had front or rear PTO (fire trucks). No hydraulics. Also the only model Unimog to have a gas engine, all others were diesel. About 62,000 model 404s were built. Lots of these are in the US now with collectors and off road enthusiasts. (see my avatar)

In the 60s the 421, 403, 413, 406, 416 came about and offered power steering and air over hydrulic brakes. They could be stripped or fully optioned as municipal or farm tractors. The US Army uses the last version of the 406 (called a 419) in their SEE - Small Emplacement Excavator and HMMH - High Mobility Material Handler and are still in service today. My 406 is the German Bundeswehr version of the SEE but in place of the front end loader it came with a dozer blade.

In 1975 they came out with the SBU (abreviation for something German) series and it had a much more square cab as you can see in the red truck above. These came in many varriations, 130hp no turbo, and 125hp to 168hp with turbo and up to 240hp turbo / intercooled. 8, 16, or 24 speeds and up to 12 speeds reverse. Front, center, rear 2 speed PTOs, single or double clutch, up to 8 front / rear hydraulics (4 cells). 3 way dumps, AG or minicipal equipped.

Today you're starting to see the new UGN model or U-500 being sold by Freightliner in the US. (Freightliner is owned by Daimler Chrysler). Pricing seems to hover around $125,000. for commonly found optioned trucks.

There is an incredible amount of implements that can be mounted on a Unimog including most AG equipment run on a farm tractor. It will be interesting to see if the concept of having ONE truck to do more than ONE job will take off here in the US. It's a concept that has been embraced by the Europeans since WWII.

Off my soapbox.

10. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking rigs. How was the Cape when you were there? Have a brother living in Hyannis. He said when they are still trying to deal with some of the snow from the last storm.

11. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Roads were pretty narrow when I went back last Tuesday. I keep truck inventory at Maple Park Campground in Wareham and they were useing a backhoe and rubber tired loader to dig out. They got more snow on top of the big storm too. More than we got in RI.

12. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Very nice trucks! :drinkup:

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have wanted an unimog for years. I actutaully have two. But both are toy models. But both do have snow plows. They make the best plow trucks. If I could find a nice used unimog with a snow plow and a dumb bed cheap I would get that over a my new F-450 I am planning to buy.

I showed my girlfriend a 4 door model and told her thats what I was buy her that if she wanted an suv. I have never seen a girl say "I want one" faster in my life. She wanted a snow plow on it too. Now what guy wouldn't want that? We really need to get some more snow so I can put something on her left hand. payup :nod:

14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You can't let her get away!

My wife mentioned the other day that I really need to find a larger antique truck so we can haul or camper with it. Ok sweetie, if you insist. She already drives my 66' 3/4 ton loaded with other toys to take to the truck shows. God, I love that woman!!!

15. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Wow I was awake when I wrote my last post. Plowed all day and then couldn't sleep because of all the coffee I drank. Note to self don't type on plow site at 3:41 am.

let me reword that.
    "I have wanted an unimog for years. I actually own two. But both are toy models. But both do have snow plows. They do make the best plow trucks. If I could find a nice used unimog with a snow plow and a dumb bed cheap. I would get that over a my new F-450 I am planning to buy.

I showed my girlfriend a 4 door cab model and told her thats what I would buy her, if she wanted an suv. I have never seen a girl say "I want one" faster in my life. She wanted a snow plow on it too. Now what guy wouldn't want that? We really need to get some more snow so I can put something on her left hand. payup :nod: "

WFD44 She won't get away. Trust me. She told me I was allowed to shoot her if she ever left. She also knows how to operate a Cat D4 cable dozer. Her she is on my buddy's machine. :drinkup:

jennie and d4.jpg

16. doug96

doug96 Member

those are to cool just sooo damn sweet what is the aprox price of those years ,how hard is getting parts?

17. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Hi Doug,

Parts are available here in the States. They cost about the same as parts for a Freightliner, Mack etc. There's a network of dealers accross the US and I get most of mine from Germany UPS 3 day or by container.

You can get an idea on pricing from my web site (signature).

18. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Ok now for the big mog question. What is the origin of the Silver/Black/Red SUV Mog? That thing is too cool :cool: . It makes a Hummer look wimpy in comparison. What is the price tag on that baby? payup

19. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

The "Pacemog" was a former flugzeugeschleper (sp) (German Air Craft Tug)
    on a 406 chassis and 4 door cab. A dealer in Gaggenau, Germany, the home of all things Unimog, decided to build something special for the 50th anniversary. They cut the back of the cab off, took a second doka (short for doppelkabine) cab, cut it and glued the back half on the front half of the original.

The pic was taken in Germany. After the 50th celebration it was put up for sale, a friend of mine saw it and decided he had to have it. I imported it about 2 years ago and it has passed to his son who lives in NH. It sold for over $25,000. It's a one of a kind. (the tires are 405/70R 20 speed 55mph rated AG tread tires)

03921PaceMog.jpg

20. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I like this Doka better.

U1250farmSm.jpg